• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

full width d44

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok gents, just an update. It is SO frustrating when doing searches for hours, and then you do a search for a different phrase and BAM; everything you're looking for pops up.

In case anyone ever reads this thread and wants to know about spacing out coil buckets, be sure to do a search specifically for "F150 coil buckets" etc. I found a few threads with people debating moving lower mounts in, or buckets out. I'm not saying the F150 buckets were the answer, but I randomly found the issue I'm addressing this way.

Just scroll down and you can see how the lower spring mounts were moved on the mazda in this thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70072&page=6

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't do it like he did.

The lower coil mount is fixed to the top of the radius arm which needs to flex.

He made a plate that either hinders that flex or constantly is fighting the weldment on the axle. Eventually that plate will break off since the welds are getting stressed constantly evertime he flexes...

Pretty ghetto if you ask me.

The lower coil mount needs to not be fixed, it has to be slightly moveable with the radius arm....

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't do it like he did.

The lower coil mount is fixed to the top of the radius arm which needs to flex.

He made a plate that either hinders that flex or constantly is fighting the weldment on the axle. Eventually that plate will break off since the welds are getting stressed constantly evertime he flexes...

Pretty ghetto if you ask me.

The lower coil mount needs to not be fixed, it has to be slightly moveable with the radius arm....
I wouldn't do what he did either. You are mounting something solid to something that's supposed to have some movement.

I'd figure something else out.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm rather glad I started re-researching this again, or I would have missed your responses.

Just when something seems like a good idea, common sense and basic physics comes a'knockin ;)

I've seen a few instances so far of the spaced out coil buckets, I'll have to check on measurements, but I've not seen many methods of spacing the spring pedestals in. At least no solid pictures of how it's done. My axles will be picked up by the freight company on Thursday so I can't do measurements yet.

I'll continue to try searching here and pirate for good examples. If y'all know of anyone's builds, I'd certainly appreciate the info.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
James duff makes an offset coil bucket for the early broncos you could use. It's for swapping to full width axles.

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I just moved mine in on the axle but Im not using f150 radius arms so it not the same. heres a picture anyways.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
James duff makes an offset coil bucket for the early broncos you could use. It's for swapping to full width axles.
Yeah I just saw those under the new product categorey. That would be the route I'd probably take if I had kept my D44 FW.

Kevery...bitchin' setup man!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals