• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Full truck wiring diagram?

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So before I get too far along on this, has anyone made a full truck wiring diagram? I've got one of the EVTMs which has most of the diagrams in it, but they are all broken up so it is easier to see individual components. I need to see the whole big picture for me to comprehend it, I am trying to clean up the engine bay and fix a few electrical issues with my V8 swap. I am drawing out the entire truck on 1 page, and I just didn't want to start from scratch if someone has already done it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I haven't heard of anyone doing that. Even if they have, chances are it's a different truck, different swap, etc. I always thought that would be cool. But I would want it to cover a good sized wall so it's big enough to be easy to read. You may want to come up with some kind of color code to make it easy to follow each system.

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's not a bad idea, I am already going to draw each wire in the labeled colors. My biggest thing is the like 10 connectors that arn't being used anymore, I want to get rid of those

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, I am starting with just 2'x3' paper like on a large presentation pad. But I have access to SolidWorks Electrical at my work that I am eventually going to remake my diagram in that

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
Carburetor or EFI?

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
originally the truck was a 2.9l, then I swapped in a carbed 302, and recently put a roller 302 that I am putting the self contained Holley Sniper efi system on. its pretty sensitive to RFI hence why I'm trying to get rid of extra wires, plus I do want the engine bay to look nice.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Ford does have full wiring diagrams, separate from the EVTM. Here's a couple of the 1990 Ranger/B2 sections currently on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Ford-RANGER-BRONCO-II-2-Truck-Electrical-Wiring-Diagrams-Schematic-Manual/192984564300?hash=item2ceec6c24c:g:VrwAAOSw0PtdJiyb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-RANGER-BRONCO-II-2-ELECTRICAL-WIRING-DIAGRAM-SCHEMATICS-SERVICE-MANUAL-90/383665880854?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20201210111314&meid=fd31efef566e4cbab8ea140514b25c05&pid=101195&rk=3&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=192984564300&itm=383665880854&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

I have used both, the EVTM along side the Wiring Diagrams, on my '90 Bronco II and did run into discrepancies between the two. That being said, the Diagram for yours wouldn't be that expensive, and may be useful for what you're wanting to do.

originally the truck was a 2.9l, then I swapped in a carbed 302, and recently put a roller 302 that I am putting the self contained Holley Sniper efi system on. its pretty sensitive to RFI hence why I'm trying to get rid of extra wires, plus I do want the engine bay to look nice.
Sounds like you have a nice engine swap in your truck, and I like your idea of cleaning up all of the wiring, and custom drawing the schematic for it. I think it would be worth the time and effort. Good luck!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I had the big electrical diagrams book and shop manuals for my 88 F150. Those diagrams could be confusing, even for an electrician and it was not the whole thing on one page like the OP seems to want. I love the EVTM in comparison. Wish i had known about it back then.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I had the big electrical diagrams book and shop manuals for my 88 F150. Those diagrams could be confusing, even for an electrician and it was not the whole thing on one page like the OP seems to want. I love the EVTM in comparison. Wish i had known about it back then.
I agree, I have the large set for my 1986 and they can be confusing and hard to follow. Even the large diagrams are on 10 + large pages. I am a electrician by trade and have worked on many different machines in factories, and I also have found the EVTM is the best diagrams to use. They are broken up into little chunks according to function, which may not be the best for what the original poster is doing, but is best for troubleshooting.

One thing positive about going over the EVTM to create a new diagram, as you study the diagrams to re-draw them it will get your mind more familiar with the wiring.

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ooh those look cool, are both links the same thing? Its hard to tell.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Ooh those look cool, are both links the same thing? Its hard to tell.
I just grabbed two links off of eBay on the quick. It looked like there were several of the 1990 Ranger wiring diagram sections to pick from on eBay, when I looked this morning.

Like others mentioned, the Ford diagrams are on several pages, but in a large format. And they can be hard to follow, with their showing everything in one view. But, for what you're planning on doing, I think that more reference material would be better than less.

Good luck!

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ah ok, After looking a bit deeper the $10 one was only a few pages, but the other one was a whole book. Got it ordered. Thank you for letting me know these existed. Like you said the more reference material the better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals