• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) full throttle, no peddal

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
I just swapped a M5OD into my 95 2.3 to replace a dead automatic trans. When I step on the clutch, the motor races like I still have my foot on the gas. I mean, it runs wide open for several seconds, then may idle down some on it's own. like the automatic choke was warming up. or I may be able to slow the rpm's by riding the clutch to slow it. I have found that the gas linkage is not the problem.
Anyone have suggestions as to what might be the next step?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I just swapped a M5OD into my 95 2.3 to replace a dead automatic trans. When I step on the clutch, the motor races like I still have my foot on the gas. I mean, it runs wide open for several seconds, then may idle down some on it's own. like the automatic choke was warming up. or I may be able to slow the rpm's by riding the clutch to slow it. I have found that the gas linkage is not the problem.
Anyone have suggestions as to what might be the next step?
Wonder if you need to switch ECMs? Your auto ECM might be looking for an input thats not there anymore.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
was led to believe the ecm would work. the donner truck is a 94 with the OBD system and the 95 has the OBD2 so i am pretty ure i can't use that one. looking at o'reilly's site, their ecm's don't ask about manual/auto but do mention 'flash' programing. what is that and where do i find someone to do it?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I don't knwo who 'lead you to believe', but my take is they may be mistaken. The auto ECM(computer) is looking for input from the transmission as to 'output' speeds, and perhaps from the 'road speed sensor'. It is also expecting the engine to have the load of twirling all the transmission parts and the torque converter when in neutral, or the load of the torque converter trying to turn them in gear, instead of the pretty much free wheeling of the clutch and flywheel. Given that, it expects to have to give some IAC input to keep the idle smooth. You no longer have that load, so the rpms stay up... You may be able to source a correct vintage manual transmission ECM, but you have to provide it with any speed sensor information it is expecting, otherwise it may do the same thing.
tom

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Had the same issue with my '93. Swapping out the IAC fixed it.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
thought the speed sensor was just for the speedometer. soo, when I found the wiring harness for the trans was not right- the connector is wrong- I figured I wouldn't have a speedo. nbd.
as to the IAC. idle air control? is that different on manuals from autos? and which part is it? never mind, just looked it up in oreillys. still, are they different?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
thought the speed sensor was just for the speedometer. soo, when I found the wiring harness for the trans was not right- the connector is wrong- I figured I wouldn't have a speedo. nbd.
as to the IAC. idle air control? is that different on manuals from autos? and which part is it? never mind, just looked it up in oreillys. still, are they different?
IAC is controlled by the ECM...its the same on autos/manuals.

All i know is the kid at o reileys gave me an auto ecm by mistake for my 87 2.9/5speed and just putsing in the driveway i could tell something was way wrong.

Automatics idle lower, dont have to deal with sudden disengagement (mashing in a clutch), have different timing curves, alot of stuff.

Im not saying that the ECM is the issue....but id blame it first ib this case.

@RonD

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
IAC is just a solenoid valve, on our Rangers anyway, others use Step Motors
No there is no difference as far as transmission

But you should only use Motorcraft or Hitachi brand IAC Valves as they are true solenoids, other brands are "combo" to work on other makes

And automatics idle higher than manuals, just FYI, 750-800rpms. they need to so they don't stall when you put them into R or D, and computer should also bump up the idle by 50-75 when "in gear"
Manuals idle at 625-650rpms, but later years can be higher because of stricter emissions at idle
Those are warm idles, cold idles are higher and vary by temperature of engine at startup

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
I found a 97 2.3 Ranger and grabbed the ECM. The idle problem is solved! I went under the 97 to get the wires for the speedo and saw a downstream O2 sensor. I don't think my 95 has a downstream sensor, just the upstream, which craps out about every3 years. If the 97 did have both (been under so many wrecks lately I don't know which had what) and I don't now, will it matter in the long run? truck runs ok but tends to stall after a while which might just be me getting tired and making sloppy shifts

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work with the new ECM

1995 and up Rangers have the newer 104-wire computers(EEC-V) which needs a Downstream O2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals