• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Full size Bronco questions?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
I had a 90 fsb about 19 years ago and drove used it to commute from Vegas to socal for work. It was 5.0 auto gutless as hell but with about 1500 pounds of woodworking tools loaded in the back and pulling a 16 foot trailer loaded up with 5-6000 pounds of material it did pretty good. I actually wish I would've kept it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We did a tow test between a '96 F250 with a 5.8 and a '99 GMC Jimmy with a 4.3 a long time ago. We both had the same trailers and Bronco IIs on the trailers. I was driving the the F250. The Jimmy won. I could not catch that thing. My dad has a '96 Bronco with the 5.8. The world has moved on so much since then. All the work you can do on a 5.8--the new Ranger motor will easily kick its ass. Like a 6th grader pushing down 2nd graders.

I've known this for a while. I have a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3, who Ford stole all of this technology from, and shares a lot of parts with the motor in the new Ranger. It's like having a big-block in a Ford Pinto. You want this, not a 5.8 or 5.0. It's thick down low--lots of grunt.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
We did a tow test between a '96 F250 with a 5.8 and a '99 GMC Jimmy with a 4.3 a long time ago. We both had the same trailers and Bronco IIs on the trailers. I was driving the the F250. The Jimmy won. I could not catch that thing. My dad has a '96 Bronco with the 5.8. The world has moved on so much since then. All the work you can do on a 5.8--the new Ranger motor will easily kick its ass. Like a 6th grader pushing down 2nd graders.

I've known this for a while. I have a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3, who Ford stole all of this technology from, and shares a lot of parts with the motor in the new Ranger. It's like having a big-block in a Ford Pinto. You want this, not a 5.8 or 5.0. It's thick down low--lots of grunt.
What your omitting is the 351 in your test had 3.55s and the 4.3 had 4.10's, the 351 was also pushing around a F250 and the 4.3 an S10 blazer. A 96 351 was making 205hp@3800rpm and 328ftlbs@2200rpm, a 99 4.3 was making 190hp@4400rpm and 250ftlbs@2800rpm, per a quick google search. The 351 has almost 80 ftlbs more twist then a 4.3, 80 ftlbs is about the difference between my 97 460 and that 96 351. There were obviously other variables at play here if you couldnt catch it.

Secondly, wheather the world has moved on or not doesnt matter on bit of difference to me. I would rather have spend money on something i know im going to throughly enjoy, that i know inside and out (mechanically) and that has many more of the attributes i look for in a vehicle.

If i was going to buy "recent" itd be a 5.0 F150 or a 7.3 (gas) superduty, once you get them popping up used.

EDIT...

Actually after looking the 351 has the 2019 ranger beat for torque to....by about 20ftlbs and it peaks 800rpm lower. So maybe stuff hasnt advanced as much as youd like to think. Im sure a 351 bolted to a damn 10 speed would be a totally different animal.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What your omitting is the 351 in your test had 3.55s and the 4.3 had 4.10's, the 351 was also pushing around a F250 and the 4.3 an S10 blazer. A 96 351 was making 205hp@3800rpm and 328ftlbs@2200rpm, a 99 4.3 was making 190hp@4400rpm and 250ftlbs@2800rpm, per a quick google search. The 351 has almost 80 ftlbs more twist then a 4.3, 80 ftlbs is about the difference between my 97 460 and that 96 351. There were obviously other variables at play here if you couldnt catch it.

Secondly, wheather the world has moved on or not doesnt matter on bit of difference to me. I would rather have spend money on something i know im going to throughly enjoy, that i know inside and out (mechanically) and that has many more of the attributes i look for in a vehicle.

If i was going to buy "recent" itd be a 5.0 F150 or a 7.3 (gas) superduty, once you get them popping up used.

EDIT...

Actually after looking the 351 has the 2019 ranger beat for torque to....by about 20ftlbs and it peaks 800rpm lower. So maybe stuff hasnt advanced as much as youd like to think. Im sure a 351 bolted to a damn 10 speed would be a totally different animal.
The 2.3 also gets an extra 10mpg and is a tiny 4cyl. It has 2.7 and 3.5 liter siblings that would beat a 5.8 into a greasy pulp.

The 351W is a good engine for its day no doubt, just leave it at that and don't go picking on newer engines that are over 3 liters or boosted.

My 302 is kinda pathetic by today's standards, I am close to most midsizes for torque but most have 100hp on me. I don't care, I like it for what it is.

Same goes for a Bronco. It is a rough riding, clumsy gas sucking pig compared to something newer. Doesn't mean you can't have fun with it and enjoy it for what it is.

And yes, I like the FS Broncos, I am not ragging on them... after all it is almost the time of year I binge watch Longmire and his Bronco is almost the star of the show.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

EDIT...

The Jimmy had 3.42 axles. And it whipped the 5.8s ass. It was embarrassing because I was the Ford guy and was driving the F250.

I had an '00 7.3 Superduty E350 up until a few years ago. It was ok. My wife hated it and finally bought a new Mercedes Sprinter in '15 to replace it. The Sprinter has a 2.1 diesel. It feels about twice as powerful as the 7.3 Powerstroke.

I'm just messing with you. That 2.1 diesel is pretty amazing when you consider it's displacement, but it's kind of inadequate. It has huge turbo lag. You have to spool up the turbo like on Street Outlaws to pull into traffic. Otherwise you floor it and it's one thousand one one thousand two and then it goes. It has 160hp, which is pretty amazing for 2.1L, but pretty bad when you want to pull out to pass. We were out in Montana this summer and I lost a race on the 4-lane to a semi loaded with a big roll of steel. I pulled out to go around him and he rolled on the juice. I got up to about 80--all the Sprinter could do in the conditions, and the rig pulled on me. The Powerstroke van actually had the power to pass people and was kind of awesome. We took that van on many long family trips to Florida and I used it to haul big, heavy stuff. It was a 15-pax but that overhang didn't matter. I sold my 6,000# gooseneck trailer which had a 2,000# tongue weight. I didn't feel like driving my old Chevy crewcab with the 6.2 you always hated, because it didn't have air conditioning. So I dropped the gooseneck onto a 2 5/16 on the frame hitch of that van and it didn't go down very far. Then I took it for a test, and it didn't mind it. So I used that to deliver that trailer down to Tennessee. When I got there, they had some half-assed old Cummins Dodge with a flatbed held to the frame by little erector set toy bits. And they couldn't find a ball for their homemade gooseneck hitch thing. So I hauled that trailer the last bit to their farm with my Club Wagon--their Dodge in shame. They bought it to haul a D6--not with that bad rig I saw. That van could do it, though.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The Jimmy had 3.42 axles. And it whipped the 5.8s ass. It was embarrassing because I was the Ford guy and was driving the F250.

I had an '00 7.3 Superduty E350 up until a few years ago. It was ok. My wife hated it and finally bought a new Mercedes Sprinter in '15 to replace it. The Sprinter has a 2.1 diesel. It feels about twice as powerful as the 7.3 Powerstroke.

I'm just messing with you. That 2.1 diesel is pretty amazing when you consider it's displacement, but it's kind of inadequate. It has huge turbo lag. You have to spool up the turbo like on Street Outlaws to pull into traffic. Otherwise you floor it and it's one thousand one one thousand two and then it goes. It has 160hp, which is pretty amazing for 2.1L, but pretty bad when you want to pull out to pass. We were out in Montana this summer and I lost a race on the 4-lane to a semi loaded with a big roll of steel. I pulled out to go around him and he rolled on the juice. I got up to about 80--all the Sprinter could do in the conditions, and the rig pulled on me. The Powerstroke van actually had the power to pass people and was kind of awesome. We took that van on many long family trips to Florida and I used it to haul big, heavy stuff. It was a 15-pax but that overhang didn't matter. I sold my 6,000# gooseneck trailer which had a 2,000# tongue weight. I didn't feel like driving my old Chevy crewcab with the 6.2 you always hated, because it didn't have air conditioning. So I dropped the gooseneck onto a 2 5/16 on the frame hitch of that van and it didn't go down very far. Then I took it for a test, and it didn't mind it. So I used that to deliver that trailer down to Tennessee. When I got there, they had some half-assed old Cummins Dodge with a flatbed held to the frame by little erector set toy bits. And they couldn't find a ball for their homemade gooseneck hitch thing. So I hauled that trailer the last bit to their farm with my Club Wagon--their Dodge in shame. They bought it to haul a D6--not with that bad rig I saw. That van could do it, though.
I believe it was you that once said "theres always that one guy on the internet forum who ran 60mph down the alaskan ice road towing a paver behind his 78 ford courier beautifully writing his GFs name in the snow with steering wheel strokes" (or something to that effect)

I kinda feel that way about the 351 vs 4.3 story. im not saying it didnt happen...i just suspect that there were other factors at play here that might not of even been known to you...that 351 coulda been sick...who knows? Ive never met a 4.3 that could even think about out towing a 351.

Also i dont hate the 6.2...i just think its inferior to the 6.9...and both are inferior to the 454/460 in stock form. The 7.3PSD isnt bad but the early ones wernt really that great. 99+ when they juiced them up they were pretty decent. Id still take a 460 any day though. Towing or not.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe it was you that once said "theres always that one guy on the internet forum who ran 60mph down the alaskan ice road towing a paver behind his 78 ford courier beautifully writing his GFs name in the snow with steering wheel strokes" (or something to that effect)

I kinda feel that way about the 351 vs 4.3 story. im not saying it didnt happen...i just suspect that there were other factors at play here that might not of even been known to you...that 351 coulda been sick...who knows? Ive never met a 4.3 that could even think about out towing a 351.

Also i dont hate the 6.2...i just think its inferior to the 6.9...and both are inferior to the 454/460 in stock form. The 7.3PSD isnt bad but the early ones wernt really that great. 99+ when they juiced them up they were pretty decent. Id still take a 460 any day though. Towing or not.
I like you, Rusty. I don't care about trucks that much.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 7.3PSD isnt bad but the early ones wernt really that great. 99+ when they juiced them up they were pretty decent. Id still take a 460 any day though. Towing or not.
I found this on facebook awhile ago and saved it just for Rusty...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I found this on facebook awhile ago and saved it just for Rusty...

A 460 on 6 or 7 cylinders would still blow by alot of things on the road,

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Sure seems like it when you watch the numbers screaming higher and higher as you squeeze the handle. So much counting...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Those dont count.
Gas stations don’t even move and a 460 can’t pass them... seems kinda slow to me.
An electric car can pass all the gas stations... that’s a lot of passing. They must be fast.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Gas stations don’t even move and a 460 can’t pass them... seems kinda slow to me.
An electric car can pass all the gas stations... that’s a lot of passing. They must be fast.
thisisbait.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals