• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Full length skid plate - mpg

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I did not have any issue with pinging on 87 prior to the upgrade. I only run 3.5psi boost at the moment so the stock tune is able to compensate for the added air and 93 octane. The only thing I upgraded besides installing the supercharger was a bigger fuel pump.

I bough the Moddbox Kit for $1800 on sale, plus rebuild FORD M80 supercharger for about $800 (the GM ones are a dime a dozen, but this kit is designed to work with a ford one which are not as easy to find). So an extra 70 or so miles for $2600

Another note, @PetroleumJunkie412 had is stock engine tuned to optimize fuel economy on 93, and was getting 18.6mpg combined. Something else to consider.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SOHC should run 87 fine out of the box.

I went from old mud tires to new all terrains and mileage did not change, still about 18mpg highway.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
As far as tires go, I would bet air pressure has a much bigger affect on mpg than tread design. Skinnier tires probably get better mpg, too.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4.0l SOHC runs 9.7:1 compression ratio, so will ping on 87 octane, which is why it has a Knock Sensor
9.3:1 is about the upper limit for 87 octane

Yes, you would get better MPG, so more range, using 91 octane if that was the goal, but for the cost, 87 octane would be cheaper even with the lower MPG

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Seems like the easiest option would be to carry a gas can and a few gallons of fuel with you. Or make your truck as light as possible, with as much air in the tires as possible, and keep your speed set to where it makes the best mileage. I have always been able to get high teens in RBVs but heavy extended cabs and automatics put the hurt on your tank. My '86 was a long box single cab, 2.9, 5 speed with 3.45 gears and 215/75/15 tires... I got mid 20's regularly with that setup.

We went to some really remote places in Utah this last summer and found out that running low on fuel is not the most fun thing. As the crow flies we were probably only about 25 miles from a gas station but it was about 110 miles total round trip on the road, and the vast majority of that was under 10mph. Basically idling in 1st gear for hours on end. It's really eye opening - your fuel is almost better measured by gallons per hour instead of miles per gallon. I think I got something like 5mpg on that tank.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
+1 on the carrying fuel cans to extend range. The skid plates might help some but probably not enough to make a huge difference.

On the tires, LT tires often have higher rolling resistance than P-rated tires. How much of a mileage difference there is between the, I couldn't say. Probably 1-2 mpg at most. It might be something you might want to run an internet search on. I doubt the tire manufacturers will have much of anything on the subject. Just keep in mind the source you get the info from. Eco oriented sites are more than likely going to be anti anything that decreases mpg and may distort the information.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
It is difficult to get better mpg in every circumstance. When I switched from 31" BFG AT tires to 31" Michelin LTX M/S tires, I got a couple mpg highway mileage improvement and about 1 city. Then I switched from 4.10 gears to 4.56 gears and my mileage dropped with the Michelin tires. I can get better highway mpg with my 33" BFG MT tires and 4.56 gears, but the city mpg is about the same.

Then again, the 31" Michelin tires with the 4.56 gears improved my towing mpg.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
From my experience, tires can have a decent effect on mileage. I would get between 19-20mpg with the stock Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires (255/70R16), and when I switched to General Grabber AT2 (265/70R16), my highway mileage dropped to about 17-18 mpg. I had also added a Diablosport Trinity tuner, which may have dropped the mileage a bit, but the driveability of the truck is a bit better. I do notice a difference if I run regular or premium, getting slightly better mileage on premium.

If I were you, I would not bother with the full length skid plates. I had tinkered with the idea of doing something similar on the truck, but being in NJ, and the amount of salt that is used on the roads, I would be taking them off constantly to try and wash the salt off.

Roert42- When my truck is no longer my daily driver, I am going to look into that supercharger kit as well. :) From what I have read, the lifespan of the engine should not be reduced too much.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Smokey Yunick says Hi.
The best bang for the buck to improve mpg is a cat-back exhaust. I had a Gibson cat-back, now a Flowmaster DBX on the Gibson pipes, if I keep it under 70 on a flat road I get 3 mpg better than the EPA highway rating. City mpg is no different.

Cat-back exhaust.
Fresh plugs and wires. I use NGK Iridium plugs and NAPA's best wires.
Fresh air and fuel filters. Ford says change them every 30k. I clean the K&N once a year and a new fuel filter every 30k.
Fresh synthetic lube in the axles and transfer case. Pro tip: Don't even try the front axle, just take it to the Valvoline Qwicky Lube where they do it with a machine. Old lube can get thick too, not always thin. In the transfer case use Mobil 1 ATF or Valvoline Synpower Transfer Case Lube.
Headers don't make any difference because the stock manifolds are already pretty good.
Nothing you do, and I mean nothing, will make a big difference.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals