• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuk! Another problem! Help please

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well today was a ruff day.. On my way to work my truck felt weird, kind of hesitating uphill, jerked a few times, I floored it and it felt like it wanted to shut off, RPM's fell to like 1 or 1.5k then it raised to like 4k... A few mins later i was cruising at around 20-25 mph it started jerking, bucking, boging u name it.. Then i suddenly shut off sputtering, It would restart and fire up for about 5 secs then shut off agin.. did it numerous of times. Fuel Pump was priming. So I let it cool down then it starts up like nothing ever happened. no cel..BTW it was hot outside like 90-95F

I searched on crankshaft sensor, seems too match the syptoms.. Please help me out guys.. Thanx..

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
It also sounds like it could be a coil pack.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
same thing just happened to my dad on his f-150 exact same symptoms, it was the fuel filter.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
First thing to "fix" even before you reach for the keyboard (or an EEC tester if you have one) is to replace the fuel filter.

Do that and then tell us if it fixed it or not.

people ALWAYS think it's "spark".
they are more often than not wrong.

AD

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I will check the filter.. I replaced it a couple of months back. I drove it today, it ran like it normaly would.. But smells like unburned gas in the engine area.. and the muffler tip is black as it can be.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
well if its not your filter and the check engine light is off i asume cause if it was on it would probaly be your o2. but if it is off you could have oil getting into you gas thats what usualy makes it so black unless its burning rich

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Stop skipping steps and get it done right the first time.
I recently had a problem that sounds a little like this one, in a couple different fords..... One solution was the air intake hose had slipped off the end off the throttle body an dthe engine didnt like any bit of extra air, acted just like what you're describing, this happend to me one other time, but it was choking the engine out instead of over airating it...
another solution to my problems, was the MAF sensor plug had slid back and lost connection with the MAF (cuz I broke the clip off of the plug the week before...)

theres my two cents, good luck

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The intake hose is on correctly and tight.. It seems like it running rich.. the smell is pretty bad.. I was getting a P0174 (Lean bank 2) code a while back.. but hasnt popped up in awhile.. What about the catalytic converters?? this one has 4 of them.. I was thinking of hollowing them out.. The reason I say the cats is because the smell, lack of power on wide open throttle, the flow on the exhaust tip feels low, the carbon coating on the tip.

Oh and its pinging/detonating really bad and loud when speeding up, from 2.5-4k rpm until I let off it quits pinging...

Last edited:

sniper141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV V6
Transmission
Automatic
clean the MAF

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals