• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel tank leak

tdd5024

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Haven’t posted for a while, and I couldn’t find anything similar to the problem that I’m having, so I figured I would see if anyone has any recommendations. I have a 97 4.0 that I bought early last year. I’ve fixed a few things on it to get it running and went to fill up the tank with fuel only to find out that the tank is leaking. Not only is it leaking - it’s at the bottom of the tank! Just my luck.

I attempted to seal it with some JB weld and thought that it looked pretty well taken care of after I put it back on the truck. Went to the gas station and about gave up when it started to leak again from the same spot.

I can’t seem to find an oem tank so that I can replace it. Checked all of the big name sites and stores that I know of, called around to the junk yards within a 50 mile radius, and even called ford to see if they happen to carry it.

The way I see it I have a few options:

1) Try a different epoxy that’s specifically made for plastic tanks.
2) Find a tank that has the same hookups and will fit into the same space under the bed as the original.
3) Buy a completely different tank and relocate it to the bed of the truck.

Any thoughts? I’m willing to spend some money, but obviously not a ton.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I am not sure what is so different on a 1997 ranger tank, but you are right no one seems to carry them.

If you can empty the tank out and peel the jb weld off, maybe you can try some of this stuff. It has worked very well for me against fuel leaks. Most hardware stores carry it.

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
If you know where the leak is, have you considered plastic welding? I'm pretty sure Ford tanks are HDPE (high density poly-ethylene) which is a thermoplastic, and therefore can be welded.

There are plastic welder kits available from Amazon or Harbor Freight fairly cheap. If you're brave enough, you can even do it with a soldering iron or a screwdriver and a heat gun (I've literally fixed plastic oil catch cans with this method).

Obviously I would do this with the tank completely empty and dry. Preferably out of the vehicle and with the filler neck or fuel pump removed. On the plus side, the weld should be as strong as the original material. You'll elminate the crack that would allow gas (solvent) in behind any adhesive based patch.

If you're paranoid about plastic embrittlement, you could always add some epoxy over top of the repair. I'd recommend a plastic complatible two-part product like JB Weld PlasticWeld https://www.jbweld.com/product/plasticweld-syringe

Finally, tank removal might be a good idea just for a thorough inspection. If the leak was the result of obvious impact damage that's one thing. But you might be fighting a losing battle if the truck has spent significant time outdoors in a plastic hostile part of the country (e.g. desert southwest)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'd try plastic welding it too. I've used a soldering iron but there are plenty of other ways. Curious where the leak is and why it is leaking... cracked or a hole worn into it...?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals