• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel tank filler neck hose question (longbed vs. short)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm looking at fuel tank filler hoses for my Ranger, and a couple that I've come across say: "Fits 108" and 125" wheelbase trucks" but makes no mention of 114" trucks (and I can't find one specific to 114" trucks), whereas the vast majority of them make no mention of anything like this at all, they simply say "Fits all models '90-'97"

Anyone know if there's a difference between them? or is this just an incomplete applications listing I've run into?

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive never compared them with different bed lengths, but i know the stepside vs. the regular bed is different. We put a stepside bed on a 93 that had a regular bed and had to custom cut the tube 3" shorter

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah that one I kindof figured.
I'm just curious if anyone with a longbed had trouble with these "Fits All" ones actually fitting or not (anyone who's owned an RBV for some time probably knows all too well that parts catalogs tend to be riddled with errors lol. Just ran into this again, this time with Dorman fuel line connectors that don't fit :sad: ).

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Sorry to barge in here, and not contribute to your resolving your question. But are you by chance replacing it because of a leak? I've noticed the past couple times I've filled my Ranger that I get gas leaking for a couple minutes on top of the tank. The filler hose seems like the only logical thing it would be, unless there's an overflow that drains on top of the tank.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to barge in here, and not contribute to your resolving your question. But are you by chance replacing it because of a leak? I've noticed the past couple times I've filled my Ranger that I get gas leaking for a couple minutes on top of the tank. The filler hose seems like the only logical thing it would be, unless there's an overflow that drains on top of the tank.
These are notorious for leaks in that exact spot. The hose rots and cracks right where it turns down into the tank. Mine failed inspection for it and probably half the guys on this site have had the same problem. Get ready to break out your wallet for a new one though. :icon_thumby:

To the OP:

I think you'll be fine with one of the fits all versions. All the necks I'm seeing say "fits 108 and 125" so I'd imagine a number between them would work too.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
These are notorious for leaks in that exact spot. The hose rots and cracks right where it turns down into the tank. Mine failed inspection for it and probably half the guys on this site have had the same problem. Get ready to break out your wallet for a new one though. :icon_thumby:
Fabulous! I take it that taking the bed off is the easiest way of doing it? Also, here are some for $35 shipped. Any reason these would be any different than the ones Rock Auto sells for $100?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-RANGER-GAS-TANK-FUEL-FILLER-HOSE-NECK-PIPE-90-97-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aRangerQQhashZitem4cf58bab08QQitemZ330537085704QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fabulous! I take it that taking the bed off is the easiest way of doing it? Also, here are some for $35 shipped. Any reason these would be any different than the ones Rock Auto sells for $100?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-RANGER-GAS-TANK-FUEL-FILLER-HOSE-NECK-PIPE-90-97-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aRangerQQhashZitem4cf58bab08QQitemZ330537085704QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Couldn't tell you if those ebay ones are different. I got mine from rockauto

The bed is the easiest way, I took mine all the way off but AllanD has mentioned that you can just lift it to the side without actually moving it off the truck, that way you don't need a friend to help you carry it. Fair warning, do not use an impact wrench on the bed bolts. It turns the sheet metal into a percussion instrument and makes the neighbors call the cops on you. Trust me, I know. :icon_thumby:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Thanks for the help Topher. And sorry for the jack 4X4Junkie.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Happy wrenching. :icon_cheers:
Since I posted that link, 3 of the 5 have sold (one of them to me).

EDIT: They are all sold out now. Hopefully some of us bought them up. They sold 15 in 2 days.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
They seem to be all over Ebay, I'm not too worried.

Yes, mine split where it goes around the tank fitting and would spew mass quantities of gas out right at the point when the pump nozzle shuts off. I Black-RTV'ed it and it's passed the California EVAP thing once already, but since the hoses aren't $400 dealer-only items anymore (at least I hope not for a 114" WB truck :dunno: ) I figured I'd just go ahead and replace it completely (yes, you can get to it by lifting up one side of the bed).

Guess I'll take a chance with one of the "Fits all" ones then. Hopefully maybe I can 'make' it fit if it doesn't.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
(yes, you can get to it by lifting up one side of the bed).
Out of curiosity, it seems to me that maybe I should be worried about the bed sliding off the other side if I were to tilt it. Is this something to be concerned about?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I received the filler pipe in the link today. It's a very nice piece. I'm a bit confuse as to how it attaches to the tank, but I'm sure it will be self explanatory when I do it.

I noticed the place I got it from relisted them at the same price if anyone else wants one. I think it's a steal at 35 dollars.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It pushes over the fitting on the tank and has a large hose clamp securing it (hardly any different than with a radiator hose).

As for tilting the bed, I don't recall it wanting to slip sideways... But I can't remember for sure, maybe it was the tire in the fender that kept it from sliding off the frame (I think it was 3 years ago I had to mess with it).

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It pushes over the fitting on the tank and has a large hose clamp securing it (hardly any different than with a radiator hose).

As for tilting the bed, I don't recall it wanting to slip sideways... But I can't remember for sure, maybe it was the tire in the fender that kept it from sliding off the frame (I think it was 3 years ago I had to mess with it).
OK, so it looks like I need to get a new hose clamp too probably. Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals