• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel rich code and high idle

chief5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am a Newbie ! !998 Ranger 3 L, 6 cy. Lost the oil pump followed shortly by the engine(surprise), replaced engine with a 1999, used my former injectors and pressure control, my plehm and air intake, cleaned IAC(was dirty) but fuel pressure is still 53 with fuel rich code and high idle. any suggestions would be ever so appreciated. (Should I shoot the engine ???)
also replaced the oxygen senors

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well you probably lost the oil pump because of the cam sensor going out. Is it possible the 99' engine you put in is a FLex Fuel engine? and then when you swapped on all of your non Flex fuel parts it would screw around with that stuff.

ACtually I am willing to bet thats your problem... you need to swap on the 99 flex fuel parts and get a flex fuel pump because it has a sensor that is supposed to read what type of fuel is running to the engine. and you need the computer for the Flex fuel engine not the non flex fuel engine.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
last time i checked the only dif between the flex fuel engine and the standard 3.0 were the chambers and valve springs, shouldnt make a difference. rich code you say/high idle? my iacv stuck open one time made the truck idle at 4k, possible yours sticking as well even after a cleaning? what code exactly was pulled do you remember? rich burn could also be ignition problem i.e. loose spark plug wires/coil pack connector loose or fouled plugs not burning all the fuel. also how clean is your air filter? if the air filter is clogged/dirty have something lodged in the airbox it will make your truck run rich. you could also be burning old fuel with a clogging fuel filter (old gas from sitting up truck) that could be burning differently/truck uses more to keep running and throw the same code. just a few simple things to consider b4 putting a gun in your trucks intake or your mouth.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
last time i checked the only dif between the flex fuel engine and the standard 3.0 were the chambers and valve springs, shouldnt make a difference. rich code you say/high idle? my iacv stuck open one time made the truck idle at 4k, possible yours sticking as well even after a cleaning? what code exactly was pulled do you remember? rich burn could also be ignition problem i.e. loose spark plug wires/coil pack connector loose or fouled plugs not burning all the fuel. also how clean is your air filter? if the air filter is clogged/dirty have something lodged in the airbox it will make your truck run rich. you could also be burning old fuel with a clogging fuel filter (old gas from sitting up truck) that could be burning differently/truck uses more to keep running and throw the same code. just a few simple things to consider b4 putting a gun in your trucks intake or your mouth.
I think mechanically thats the only difference between the newer blocks. but they changed some stuff between the 98 and 99 blocks if I recall correctly. Not to mention the electronics are different for some stuff, and the fuel injectors.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
just dawned on me from answering another forum, does the 98/99 3.0 have a vacuum actuated fuel pressure regulator like my 93 does? when the diaphragm/spring wears out or you have a vacuum leak (craked hose or loose connection) its doesnt meter fuel properly. it will cause rich mix/poor economy overall. we get this complaint at my work from the vtx1800 model all the time, new regulator = no more problem. it basically increases the pressure a hair too much and blows too much fuel past the injectors. fig i would run that by you.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I think mechanically thats the only difference between the newer blocks. but they changed some stuff between the 98 and 99 blocks if I recall correctly. Not to mention the electronics are different for some stuff, and the fuel injectors.
you kno come to think of it they may have went to larger injectors one of those yrs. either that or im thinking about reading on rogueperformance.com in the past about ordering matched injectors, 2.3/3.0 were close then the 4.0 sohc were huge compared to the others, ill have to reread. def worth looking into.

chief5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the advice from everyone: Rurouni20xx, by iacv , do you mean the Throttle damper that is controlled by the gas petal? It is closed at idle. Spark Plugs have been replaced and i have checked the wires. The fuel filter has been replaced and This is my second full tank of gas since. The was a rich fuel and comes on after reset when at a stop with motor running(on high idle ,of cource)
Fuel pressure is high at 53 using the old fuel pressure /nozzle assembly ?????

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
iacv is the idle air control valve mounted on your intake upper plenum on the other side of the throttlebody. it has two 8mm bolts a gasket and a two prong connector. controls the amount of airflow that bypasses the throttleblade allowing your truck to idle. i asked about the fuel pressure regulator, but i cant remember if your truck has one like mine with a vacuum fitting on the fuel rail or if yours is a returnless fuel system with a pump regulator. this is the a picture of the iacv, dont have one of my fuel pressure regulator: i have a 93 truck so my intake manifold is different than yours but the componentry are same.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
ok was just on oreillyautoparts.com, looked up the fuel pressure regulator for the 1998, it looks like this:

the 1999 does not have one, meaning the 99 has the the single line returnless fuel system with an intake fuel pressure regulator built on the pump. the fuel system on the 99 is different than the 98, however since you are using a 98 fuel system it does have an external regulator that looks like that, similar to my 93. first thing i would look at is the location of the regulator, on the fuel rail drivers side if im not mistaken, and look to see if the vacuum line is connected and no cracks on it all the way back to the vacuum fitting on your truck. if its loose/cracked/disconnected theres your answer. not saying thats what your problem is withoutadoubt but its a pretty good possibility. another thing you can do, disconnect the vacuum fitting and see if your fuel pressure changes at different rpm, then reconnect to see if its increasing or decreasing at different rpm. consult a manual and see if your fuel pressure is correct at idle and other rpm if there is a spec for that.
the only other thing i can think of is your o2s could be fouled/acting up or your engine just isnt using all the fuel from the different combustion chambers. if this is the case then its a tuning issue, might want to look into that. what original ranger was suggesting is that the 99 motor was not designed for the older fuel system meaning the tune is wrong. hopefully its just a disconnected hose or something simple.

Last edited:

chief5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rurouni20xxx , you are very clever to solve this problem without seeing the engine. !
I do not see any vac lines coming back from the fuel injector rail. Since I do not have any vac tubing, I will take it back to the garage that installed the 98 fuel injector rail Monday.
(also I am lost with the fuel injected engines and really wasn't that great with carburetored engine either) Is there a proper place to tee in the vac from the pressure regulator or will any spot work as well ???? Thank you , thank you, Tony

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
if its like mine you have a vacuum fitting on the rear of the intake by the firewall, should be like 10 hoses coming out of it, any one of them should do. if it isnt there then you need to find one and have it installed or see about having one tapped into the intake and run to the regulator. my coworker has an 04 that i constantly look at as he wants his to run as good as mine did when she was running, therefore i know what the fuel system looks like the intake the whole nine yards lol. just glad i could help you.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
hey found a pic of what the fuel pressure regulator looks like installed with the vacuum fitting hooked up on my 92 2.3 engine pics. here is what it looks like:

and what my vacuum fitting looks like on the intake manifold of the 92 2.3:

chief5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After 3 different garages and 2 maf, The mass air flow was the sole problem.Replaced runs great again . Thanks to all for their help

Tony

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals