• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump?

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Having hard starts.... Only thing I can think of is the fuel pump. I've been replacing them it seems every 5-10 yrs. What a pita that is! Previously, I believe I had a pump that stopped displaying my fuel level.... before that, I think I was getting hard starts but was able to figure fuel pump after priming it a few times (turning the key) and then having no problem starting.... This time however, that method isn't working... I've also replaced the coil (with another used one I have) and had the same luck. Perhaps coincidence, but when I push on the gas pedal a bit, it does seem to turn over sooner.... ????? It seems very random... sometimes starts just fine, other times, takes longer....

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll feel silly to ask, but has the fuel filter been replaced?

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not silly, good thought... It was replace around 120k? I'm at 170k now... so I am doubting that to be the issue? Think the owner's manual or Chilton's book I have says it's a lifetime filter but I replaced it at one point because I felt better doing it :)

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
when I push on the gas pedal a bit, it does seem to turn over sooner.... ????? It seems very random... sometimes starts just fine, other times, takes longer....
When it starts how does it idle?

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Idles fine... just the starting is erratic... turns right over sometimes, other times it takes a while...

only thing that is different sometimes is my e-brake isn't working currently (manual tran) and therefore, if I'm on a slope starting, my foot is on the brake and sometimes seems to take longer to start at those times... last couple times, I've held the brake and given a little gas with heel and that either coincidentally was when it started or the "pushing a little on the pedal" helped...

it initially seemed like a bad coil but after a swap with another used one I have it did the same thing... sooooo, either they both are bad or it's something else...

fuel injectors? seems either not getting fuel or not getting spark... hence, maybe fuel pump starting to go? but again, priming the system (turning key multiple times) doesn't affect it... What goes to the coil? Is there an ECM that could be going bad?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What starting temps are you seeing where you are?

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it's been going on for 6 months or longer... temps don't seem to be the issue. :)

Last edited:

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Doing a fuel pressure test would help. Otherwise it's just replace stuff and hope for the best. One of the auto parts stores may lend pressure tester.

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, good idea... will work on that in the next week or two.

RAF81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What are the pressure specs for a 3.0L fuel pump?....I have a 2.5L engine with same symptoms as Brian is describing and I just happen to have a 3.0L fuel pump I got with this wrecked truck I picked up for parts. I know the 4cyl is somewhere in the 60-65psi range. Just wondering if this other pump will work?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Depends on the year of the FP or at least the pressure regulator, which could be external to the pump or internal. Knowing your fuel system delivery type is important.

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For a 2000 3.0, the fuel pressure is between 55-72 psi.

1998+ Rangers use a mechanical returnless fuel system, i.e., there is no return fuel line back to the tank. In conjunction with this, the fuel pressure regulator is now in tank with the pump assembly, as is the check valve. A bad FPR or check valve can cause pressure to leak down, and low fuel pressure in general.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
New problem deserves a new thread since it's a different engine.

However, if you must give it gas pedal to start it and it runs fine otherwise, replace or clean the IAC.

Brian1973

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I actually have cleaned out the IAC not too long ago, couple months? Was having a high idle that wouldn't settle down... even after a shutdown and restart... think I even disconnected battery thinking it was some kind of computer glitch.... Ended up pulling IAC and cleaned it but in the process noticed the plunger thing was stuck I think I recall... so cleaned it out with some carb cleaner and put everything back together.... maybe it's not completely back right since it is possible the issue has been going on for that long but I think longer...

What about a control module going bad? I agree it sounds more like an IAC issue now that I think about it and will take it apart again just to knock it off the list but it's almost like it's not getting spark correctly (which yes, giving pedal shouldn't affect that... right? unless maybe the spark is sooo sporadic at the start that pushing a little more fuel into the cylinders is able to crank a piston or two over?)... figured maybe I can attach timing light to the coil and have a partner crank the engine and see if I'm getting sporadic spark?

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For a 2000 3.0, the fuel pressure is between 55-72 psi.

1998+ Rangers use a mechanical returnless fuel system, i.e.,
I think he meant to type Electrical returnless fuel system, as they have the pump in the tank.

JP02XLT

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals