• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump not working.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hello I have a 1986 ford ranger super 4x4 2.9 with a/c. my problem is that my fuel pump is not turning on. I thought i ran out of gas one day. so i stopped and filled up then my truck would not start. so i checked the valve on the fuel rail and no gas. so i turned the key on and could not hear the pump. i replaced the fuel pump relay, fuel filter, fuel pump and screen, and the ignition switch. the only thing left to replace or test is the icm or the wires. but just wondering if some one has had this problem before. :icon_confused:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is an inertia switch by the passenger's toes, under the carpet. Push its reset button fully. If that doesn't work, see if one of its two pins has power, while still connected. Backprobe the wires; if both have power, the inertia switch is good. When checking for that power, know that it is only present for about two seconds each time you turn the key to Run, from Off.

If one pin has power, disconnect it, and use a paper clip to jump the two pins on the removed connector. Should run then.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_1of3.JPG

You could also have a blown fuel pump fuse (30A) if there is no power at the inertia switch.

Lastly, the PCM relay HAS TO WORK for the fuel pump relay to energize. You will know it is not working if you have NO SPARK. If your truck has a Check Engine Light on the dash....turn the key to Run (no need to crank it over) and see if the CEL comes on. If it does, the PCM relay is working.

The ground for the fuel pump itself is on the front fender, under the hood. I don't know which particular one it is.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where is that (30a) fuse is it on the fuse block.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's a fuse link, it's inline the wire. I have an '87 EVTM, but not sure how close it would be if you need specifics.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cool thanks ill look at trying to find the fusible link. I don't have power on either wires to the inertia switch. correct me if i'm wrong i can replace a fusible link with an inline fuse.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is an inertia switch by the passenger's toes, under the carpet. Push its reset button fully. If that doesn't work, see if one of its two pins has power, while still connected. Backprobe the wires; if both have power, the inertia switch is good. When checking for that power, know that it is only present for about two seconds each time you turn the key to Run, from Off.

If one pin has power, disconnect it, and use a paper clip to jump the two pins on the removed connector. Should run then.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_1of3.JPG

You could also have a blown fuel pump fuse (30A) if there is no power at the inertia switch.

Lastly, the PCM relay HAS TO WORK for the fuel pump relay to energize. You will know it is not working if you have NO SPARK. If your truck has a Check Engine Light on the dash....turn the key to Run (no need to crank it over) and see if the CEL comes on. If it does, the PCM relay is working.

The ground for the fuel pump itself is on the front fender, under the hood. I don't know which particular one it is.

OK so i checked the fusible link that powers the fuel pump relay and there is power on both sides. and there is power getting to the ecm relay. but no power to the pump or the inertia switch. i'm stumped and not sure what to do. could it be a fried ecm? :icon_confused:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry i have not responded yet I have been busy with work. i'm going to try it.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i checked my wires on my fuel pump relay don't match the ones on the diagram. but i have power constant at the yellow wire. key on power at the read and orange and blue. and no power at the other one that i cant tell what color it is. the main color is faded then i can see a blue line i think. "obd"? on board diagnostic port i don't see one. dose it even have one. i forgot my key was on the other night and killed my battery so its charging.

Last edited:

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i removed the inertia switch and used a jumper wire on the pink and black to the orange and red. it did not work. so i removed the connector for the inertia switch in the engine bay and hooked a hot wire to 12v power and i got the fuel pump to turn on. i got fuel at the fuel rail and spark but wont start. but i cant get the fuel pump to start with out the jumper wire. any suggestions?????

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual
There is a ground wire that comes off the neg side of the battery cable it is a single wire with a connector make sure it is connected and grounded that one stupid wire controls a lot of shit including fuel control and what not

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a ground wire that comes off the neg side of the battery cable it is a single wire with a connector make sure it is connected and grounded that one stupid wire controls a lot of shit including fuel control and what not
lol i'm going to be so pissed if that is the problem. thanks for the info sorry for the slow response time. I'm working 2 jobs and one is as a tow truck driver so i don't have much free time.

eclipseguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
holy crap.......... i could smash my head with the hood. i looked at the wiring about 10 times getting pissed and confused. i pulled the computer thinking it was fried and it was a ground that i did not see came out of the connector . with the advice i new exactly what wire it was before walking out to the truck. i feel so stupid. thanks every one and sorry to waste peoples time for a dumb reason. im excited and ashamed at the same time.

Rangerman87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'88,'11
Make / Model
ford,mitsubishi
Engine Size
2.9,2.0L turbo
Transmission
Manual
The best thing to do is hardwire it.I had the same problem with my '88 and '89 2 nine's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals