• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump issue

RonSerling

Reaction score
High in the mountains of San Bernardino National F
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
ummmmm 4" could be 6 but its a TTB and the little bugger varies from time to time !! LOL
Tire Size
33/12.5 15
Ok here is a stupid question. I know I am gonna be told to sit in the corner for this one. On my 99 Ranger 4.0 I am having a fuel issue !! My question is if I disconnect the fuel line where it connects to the fuel log on the intake and turn the key on should I not see a flow of fuel ??? I checked the fuel pump fuse which is good and replaced the relay but with the line disconnected I am not seeing any fuel coming out. We also replaced the fuel pump and the filter about a month ago also. I am looking for suggestions on this issue. Thanks

Mokume

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Lariat
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"do as I say, don't do as I do"
Hookup a known good fuel pressure gauge to your fuel rail (schraeder valve), remove the fuel pump relay and jump the terminals so that the pump runs constantly.
You should measure at least 30 psi.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Did you buy a motorcraft pump?

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When you turn the ignition key to the "on/run" position, the fuel pump runs for two-three seconds-- Yes, not a safe test, but fuel should come out of a disconnected fuel line. The correct test, is to hook up a gauge to the Schrader valve, as Mokume stated, but you do not have to jump the relay to evaluate the system--a correctly operating system, will develop at least 30 PSI, by just turning the key on, and will hold this pressure for at least, 30 seconds--you can cycle the key several times, while watching the gauge, to build more pressure/test for a system rapidly leaking down.
Hope this helps.:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals