• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Pump and Sending Unit Questions

Chambers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all, I have a 1984 2.8L XLT that is completely stock, and the fuel sending unit went out recently, and I couldn't find a sending unit for the 2.8L in the LMC catalog, only for the 2.9, would the sending unit from the 2.9 work with my 2.8? So is the fuel pump located in the tank or in line? Thanks.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
the fuel pump is on front lower drivers side of engine.mechanical pump.sending unit?try the auto parts stores online or the wanted to buy section of this site.i don't know if the 2.9 unit will work.good luck.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The sending unit is in the tank - remove it very carefully!!! Sparks cause explosions. I doubt if the 2.9 would work.

Look at the wires first - then maybe the gauge itself. The sending unit is a pain - but so is running out of gas.

Chambers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I don't think its the gauge it self, because I just ran the truck today and the fuel gauge was working, but before it completely went out the gauge would read aprox. 1/4 lower than it was, so I'm thinking wires on the sending unit are just corroded or drenched in oil, hehehe. I've done a fuel pump and sending unit assembly on a Cherokee before so I know whats in store for me, thanks for the warning though, always helps.

budro

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Float

My guess is the foam float attached to the Sending unit inside the gas tank broke off. My dads did that same exact thing. Gas gauge was low then one day out of the blue no gas gauge at all. Pulled the tank and the float was in 2 pieces at the bottom of the drained tank. Cracked in half around the sending unit arm and fell off.

Definately pulling the bed is the easier way to go.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It shouldn't be a foam float that early.

It should be a brass plated, soldered together, steel float.

But even they get perforated and sink...

AD

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Since I'm getting redy to do this same thing on my truck, what would you recommend to replace the float with? Could probably solder it back together but since it's been sitting in gas that isn't going to happen. So if the float is bad and since they don't sell replacement sending units (that I've been able to find) what should I use on there.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For a metal float that leaks, try a gas tank sealer.

And now that I'm thinking about it, if you coated a plastic float with the tank sealer (a liquid epoxy substance) that should work too - but I never tried it.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
When you go into it, be sure to look at the wiring connector on top of the tank. On my '84 long bed the connector was simply rotted out, and came apart. In my case the float was fine. To fix it I cleaned up what was left where the connector plugs in and soldered wires to the sending unit terminals, added an inline connector and filled the area where the OEM connector was with hot glue.

Chambers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yea I'm thinking that that is close to what I'm going to have to do, I am almost certain its the plug that is causing my troubles. By the way, Pepboys said they had sending units for an 84 2.8L 4WD for about sixty, I think I'm going to see if its just a simple wire connection first.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for sharing that info on Pepboys, I'll have to check into it if I can't fix mine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals