• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel problems, won't continue running after startup

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
I may not know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future.
Yesterday, I came out and my 2002 Ranger (4.0 SOHC V6) wouldn't start. Cranked fine but would not fire up. I confirmed there was spark so assumed fuel issues. I had planned to replace the fuel filter, anyway, so went ahead and did that. Now, it starts fine -- but it won't continue running. Right after it finishes the "startup" cycle, it falters and then dies -- like it is running out of fuel. I definitely hear the whine of the fuel pump like usual so it is running.

Is this probably a bad fuel pump? Since replacing the filter at least let it get enough fuel to start, maybe the filter had been going bad for a while and the increased resistance killed the fuel pump? Other recommendations?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Harbor freight has a fuel pressure tester for $24.00

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
@franklin2 Have you used this kit on your Ranger? Just wondering if it has the correct connectors and such.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I got one on Amazon that did. Will have to dig it up.

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
I'm not sure how these two-inlet fuel filters work. If I'd mistakenly swapped the two inlet hoses during replacement of the fuel filter, could that result in this behavior where it starts but doesn't keep running? Since it originally wasn't starting at all and replacing the fuel filter fixed it so it now starts, it seems odd that it won't keep running.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I haven't ever worked on your year vehicle, but all the other Fords I have worked on, including the diesels, the supply is 3/8 and the return is 5/16 and you can't get them mixed up. Does your filter have 4 connections? 2 on one side and 2 on the other?

Also all the Fords I have worked on have a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail up top on the engine. It looks like a tire valve. I have never used the Harbor freight tester, but it should have the fitting on it like your bicycle tire pump would have on it.

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
Also all the Fords I have worked on have a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail up top on the engine. It looks like a tire valve.
I've been looking around but haven't found anything. Another guy mentioned that the 2002 Ranger didn't have one -- which seems odd that a given year wouldn't have it when others do, but maybe this engine... I'll keep digging and see if I can find it.

I haven't ever worked on your year vehicle, but all the other Fords I have worked on, including the diesels, the supply is 3/8 and the return is 5/16 and you can't get them mixed up.
Yes, you are correct. I forgot about that. Can be seen in the photo that they're different sizes:

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
Interesting... I went out to check it with my scan tool just to see if it was now throwing DTC codes or anything. (It hadn't thrown any at all when I originally checked, but...) This time, it started right up and kept running. I let it run for a couple minutes and it seemed fine. So I tried revving it up some and found that it stumbles at 3,000 and won't go above that. I don't remember encountering that before. Pretty sure it will rev up to red line even while in park. But I'll check it out tomorrow when I have more time.

But, if there were fuel pressure issues wouldn't that throw a P0087 DTC code?

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Not sure, I had better shut up. You might have one of those returnless systems they went to and I have never worked on one of those. Somehow the computer monitors the pressure and varies the voltage to the pump to maintain the proper pressure. I would think you still have a test port somewhere though.

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
@franklin2 No, this definitely has the fuel filter with the return line; no question about that. (Further research showed that the P0087 code doesn't apply to the Ranger; that was only a code from a pressure sensor which we don't have.) I did confirm that my 2002 appears to not have a fitting to test the fuel pressure. I found a photo of an Explorer with the 4.0 and it shows a schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail but on my 4.0, instead of a fitting, that end of the fuel rail has a 'T' with a couple of rubber hoses connected. So, not sure how I'd test the fuel pressure. Never done that before so new experience for me.

My 4.0 fuel rail end

Explorer 4.0 fuel rail end

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rangers of these years never had a fuel pressure sensor or the fuel pump driver module that was added to the full size Ford trucks
The Driver module adjusted the voltage to the fuel pump, like franklin2 described, Rangers never had this
And its good they didn't, they were a common failure point on fulls size Fords, lol

The 4.0l SOHC often does have a fuel pressure test port, at least in the 2001-2005 years

There were end caps like these: https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evolutionm.net-vbulletin/2000x1504/1_345281927677f9c03772c2536cc9c1689b88b0f7.jpg

On the left are just seals, on the right are the fuel pressure test ports, seals were cheaper to use, lol
And you can swap these out to add a test port

But you may not even have that
Look on the passenger side end of fuel rail near firewall
You should see the Pulse Damper with vacuum hose attached
These are VERY expensive, $200+

Haven't see the 2002 damper, so not sure how its attached, but you might be able to swap it out, temporarily, with a test port schrader valve
The damper is needed, it absorbs pressure waves that would bounce off a solid end cap, these were only used if an FPR wasn't on the fuel rail to absorb the pressure waves
The vacuum hose is for safety, in case rubber diaphragm inside it leaked, it wouldn't drip down on a HOT engine or exhaust

OR

You can disconnect fuel line from the fuel rail and make a fitting, a "man in the middle" connector, I think that Ford techs use these, so you can add a test port, you could leave this connected

Yes, I am the same RonD from other forum, lol, just was letting others chime in here to get different ideas

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
@RonD (Thanks for chiming in here, too. I frequent both of these forums so I generally post to both to hit a broader audience for help as well as for sharing what I find.)

RodBarnes

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
EFI-SOHC, 205 HP
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265/65R17
My credo
UPDATE: This morning, it again started right up and continued running. I took it for a short, easy ride down our lane and back and there was no indication of any problem. Then I took it out on the county road and drove it normal until it warmed up and then turned around and drove it hard -- up a hill, full throttle, foot to the floor, winding out each gear (shifting at about 5,200 rpm). Not a single indication of a problem, it was exactly as it has always been. If I hadn't experienced the last few days with this issue, I'd say there was nothing wrong. I find it difficult to believe that replacing the fuel filter had any significant impact on this situation.

I greatly appreciate all the time spent sharing your thoughts. At this point, I feel to monitor this for a while. Thanks to "HawaiiMud" on another forum, I found the test fitting (it is on the back end of the passenger-side fuel rail -- see photo) so I'll get a tester and check the pressure. Assuming that is good, I'm going to wait and see if I have another instance of the "won't start after coming back out of the store". If that happens, I'll call it done and replace the fuel pump.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good find, that is a test port

bills4065

Canada Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You got to hate them "can not duplicate" problems. I remember trying to tell pilots that about their aircraft! lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals