• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Pressure Issue

GrumpierGrunt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 3.0 FF
Hi all, 1999 Ford Ranger 3.0 FFV Automatic standard cab 126,000 miles.

About three weeks ago,I put a new battery in my truck. Prior to that, I had been jumping it. One time after jumping it with my Halo battery device, the truck just would not start. After getting a new battery, the truck ran really horribly. It did not want to idle, had a lot of hesitation/bogging on acceleration, and had some backfiring. Almost like a miss.

I got it home and figured maybe my terminal connections were no good, so I swapped those out. Nothing. I then proceeded to change the coil, as I had a cheaper motor craft unit on there. No change. The IAC appears to be working as well, though I had recently replaced it with a cheap unit.

As I already had the part, I also changed the TPS sensor. Ran slightly better, but nowhere near able to drive.

I bought a harbor freight fuel pressure gauge and the pressure was 55 psi. Thinking the pressure was good, I noticed I was getting nothing in the coolant temp sensor gauge, so I swapped out both sensors. No change. Still getting nothing in the temp gauge.

I then decided to replace the fuel filter, as it had been a while. It was toast and had some obstruction, but still no change. Upon some prolonged running and really poor idle, I noticed the cats were glowing red hot after some continued poor idling and acceleration. I had a friend hook up his snap on scan tool and he confirmed the motor is running lean.
I hooked up my fuel pressure gauge and noticed that the pressure was starting within specification but rapidly dropping as the truck ran longer. Which confirms what I feel when attempting to drive it, it starts off running ok (still a little poor) but then becomes really poor and doesn’t want to idle. I start to loose brakes and it chugs off the throttle.

I changed the fuel pump (original one) and still no change. I need to hook up the pressure gauge, but was interested to hear what the forum has to say. I’ve gotten no codes even after taking it for a test drive.

could it be bad fuel pressure regulator dampener? No gasoline comes out of the hose when I unplug it. Would the temp gauge not working be connected to the low pressure?

Last edited:

jenocidejennissippi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Reading can seriously damage your ignorance.......
Hey thanks for that........I think that may be what is wrong with mine.......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals