• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pressure issue 04 XLT 3.0L

Lord Corn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
Hello all, I've got a quick question for everyone before I pull a fuel pump.

My 2004 3.0L is having trouble building pressure during key-on/engine-off. The pump will always get power, but will only run for less than 2 seconds (usually 1-1.25 seconds). It also only builds about 5-10psi per key-on/ignition-off cycle. I eventually get it to about 35psi, then it sometimes goes higher with more key-ons, sometimes doesn't build any more pressure with key-ons (pump still runs, just no pressure increase). From what I understand, it is a returnless system, and most of the actual fuel system parts are an all-in-one fuel pump design. This leads me to buying a new pump.

I want to be sure there are no funny electrical safeties or something that could be causing this, and isn't in the tank. I have no problem doing a pump swap, but I want to make sure I have to do the work first. Any Ideas or is it pretty much 100% the pump? My guess is the regulator is weakened and shuts the pump off due to a spike in pressure or something, but either way that still means a new pump.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The computer(PCM) only runs the fuel pump for 2 seconds when key is turned on, that's normal, its for safety
At 0 RPMs pump power is limited to 2 seconds, i.e. in an accident or roll over fuel line can break, engine would stall(0 RPMs) and fuel pump would shut off, so no fuel pumping out to feed a fire
So engine RPMs limit pump power, above 400 RPMs pump will be on full time

15psi is enough to start the engine, but fuel pressure should hold above 30psi when key is off
Running pressure should be 55psi on returnless system

Yes, there is a check valve/back flow preventer in the fuel pump assembly that should hold the pressure above 30psi in the returnless system, when pump is off

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
once it is started and running, can you do a full throttle acceleration for 0 to 70?

Lord Corn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
once it is started and running, can you do a full throttle acceleration for 0 to 70?
She did 0-85 no issues, multiple times, plenty of power. The ONLY symptom is having to turn the key 6-12 times per start, once started it idles/drives perfectly fine. There is a built in rpm limit of 3,400 when shifter is in park correct? (god I hope so.) I am planning of driving it 5 miles with the guage hooked up, shut it off, then check pressure every 10 minutes until it drops off. I do not know how long it will hold pressure. I can video it if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Lord Corn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
Oh yeah, fuel filter has been changed so that's good.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, there is an RPM Limiter when in Park/Neutral or 0 MPH

Fuel pressure should hold for MONTHS, you will most likely have to change the fuel pump assembly if pressure is dropping to 0 psi in a few minutes.

But you should only have to turn the key on and off 3 times to get a start up from 0 psi pressure

Lord Corn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15
Yes, there is an RPM Limiter when in Park/Neutral or 0 MPH
Fuel pressure should hold for MONTHS, you will most likely have to change the fuel pump assembly if pressure is dropping to 0 psi in a few minutes.
Yeah it holds pressure more like minutes ha. Fuel pump will be replaced, I just wish I knew exactly what was causing it. I have no problem replacing the entire assembly as it's a unit, but I'd love to know exactly what is failing. Perhaps the removal will tell more.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The check valve or fuel pressure regulator in the assembly is leaking

Picture here: https://www.2carpros.com/images/question_images/18321/original.JPG

Not a Ranger assembly, black arrow points at pressure regulator/check valve combo unit, which is used on Single line assemblies

Rangers often have TWO line assemblies, so separate pressure regulator and then check valve in the fuel pump, either can cause loss of pressure with key off

The two line system uses a 3 port Fuel Filter, in and out, plus a return line to tank that goes to the pressure regulator

Ranger assembly seen here: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/stMAAOSws2RcR5ur/s-l500.jpg

You can see the two lines and pressure regulator

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger hasn't held pressure after shut off for years. Still starts every time, first turn of the key. Put a new pump and filter in it in January 2017. Still, fuel pressure falls off as soon as the key is turned off. Next morning, turn the key, listen for the click, start engine. Vroom fires right up first turn. Lovin it! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My shop manual says fuel pressure should be 56 to 72 psi. Mine currently runs at 64 psi.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals