• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel injectors

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
are the fuel injectors in a 96 2.3l smaller than the ones in a 2001 2.5l. my trucks running lean i just swapped a 2001 2.5l in my 96 but i am using the 2.3l fuel injectors. also its has a miss fire in cylinder 1 HELP!!

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Are they the same color?We put yellow tops or red tops in our race truck with good results.I know some guys on here say no difference in performance but dyno says different.sometimes when you change engines,you bump a fuel line after the filter and something can get in the line and get to the injector and partially plug it.I would change that one injector with your other one,same color and top hookup,right?

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
i just found out that the ones in my truck are the 2001 so they should work and i just put new plug wires in still running the same lean. i am running the 96 computer i tryed running the 01 computer but it runs like shit, so im sticking to the 96 computer ans the 96 wiring harrness

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
so update. some times it idles fine sometimes there is a missfire could it be sticky valves

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It could be a sticky valve,especially in a 2.5 because they have such a small spring.Put a little Marvel Mystery oil in it,that will help if its sticky.You hooked up all the grounds and sensors?Did you have the intake manifold off?Check for a air leak?Did you use the 96 intake or the 2.5?Did your 96 have a return line and the 2.5 doesn't?

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
were do i get marvel mystery oil and how do i put it in. all grounds hooked up. i did have the 2.5l intake manifold but i did take it off, but the gasket was like new. checked for a leak by spraying carb cleaner around the intake manifold it didnt rev up so i guess there is no leak. im thinking there is a vacume leak but cant find it. there is a strange sound coming from the back of the engine by the egr but i think the egr is good also put a new egr gasket on. i just cant find the problem. scanned it at a friends shop and now it says there is a random misfire and its still lean

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You can get Marvel at any Carquest or Napa but the way you just explained,I think you have a air leak some wheres in the intake.Aren't there a couple vacuum hoses under the manifold?Did the 2.5 have the same return lines as the 2.3?Some of the 2.3 had a single line and some had double.Better pull the intake and at least use some silicone spray on the gasket if you don't replace them.

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
update i found a problem, one of my spark plugs was striped i thought that there was a vacume leak but it was the plugletting air in and out, its weird because the head didn't strip, but i put a different plug in and it tightened down and was not crossthreaded but its still missfireing and lean. also sometime the truck revs up to 2000rpm and stays there until i shut the truck off and then on, Then it idles back down

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
put new plugs in it. better but still a little rough idle

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I know the feeling, mine runs like poo too, worse under boost so it's kinda boring...

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
i think i found the problem i think its the TPS some times it will idle up and stay around 1500rpm-2000rpm then i shut down the truck and turn it back on it idles down. could this cause a lean condition and a small misfire a bad TPS

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
o well i got a extra one so ill throw it on and let you know

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
it was the plugs after a little bit it started to idle good but as for the TPS i tested it and it seems fine and stoped reving up but does it every once in a while

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals