• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Gauge Calibration

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
‘85 2.8 that I’ve owned since ‘96 (second owner). I replaced the worn out sending unit a few years ago, prior to that full was off the chart and when you first hit E, you were down about 8 gallons (17 gallon tank). I drive it around 1k miles per year, wasn’t sure how close to E I could get before I ran out of gas. Last week I was between 1/8 and E and put in 15 gallons.

Adapting the check method in the service manual, I used a 10 ohm and 75 ohm resistor (I couldn’t find a 73). When hooked up to a 12vdc power supply and an old gauge with the 10 ohm resistor in circuit, I zeroed the trimmer on the instrument voltage regulator until the needle was on F. I then replaced to 10 ohm with the 75 and checked position.

I swapped the IVR in my truck—nailed it. No longer over shooting F by 1/4 of a tank.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice work, I track miles more than anything when I drove my B2.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I’ll keep an eye on it for a bit. After two hours of driving today it’s down 1/4 of a tank, before adjustment it would have still been above full. I don’t have a trip odometer, and I drive it infrequently enough that I don’t remember mileage.

I adjusted two IVRs with this setup, both motorcraft made in Mexico parts made in the ‘00s. I don’t know if there was a spec change or just loose QC on these. The original would also read off the scale when full.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I’ll keep an eye on it for a bit. After two hours of driving today it’s down 1/4 of a tank, before adjustment it would have still been above full. I don’t have a trip odometer, and I drive it infrequently enough that I don’t remember mileage.

I adjusted two IVRs with this setup, both motorcraft made in Mexico parts made in the ‘00s. I don’t know if there was a spec change or just loose QC on these. The original would also read off the scale when full.
I didn't realize they made a RBV without a trip odometer. That's what I use when tracking mine. Just reset it every time I fill up.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That is great work. And it's very useful; thanks for posting it.

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was always afraid that the gauge would burn out if it was pegged past "F". But fortunately, that didn't happen.

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Please expand on the method or attach the pdf. I have one that pegs at 3/4 tank, and I constantly forget to zero the trip meter when I fill up. Have to carry a 2.5 gallon can 'just in case'.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would start off with this check.

In my case, going through the workflow I would have kept replacing the instrument cluster voltage regulator. I set up a fuel gauge circuit outside of my truck so I could adjust the trimmer on the IVR out of my truck.

Attachments

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ah, that was the part I missed, adjusting the trimmer. Is that fairly simple, or a PITA but worth doing once? Is that the voltage regulator I see in the lower left of the original pic?

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It was fairly simple. This was the third IVR I’d had in the truck, I’d already replaced the sending unit (which was bad) and the gauge (hoping I wouldn’t have to replace the sending unit).

Adjusting it in the car, seems like it would be a pain. One IVR required 3/4 of a turn unscrewed, the other 1.5 turns. If you can test with the resistors to rule out the sending unit, go for it.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the IVR is the small metal box in the lower left.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
As a follow up to this, I bought gas today. My gauge said I was down 1/2 a tank, I put 8.661 gallons into a 17 gallon tank. I think that’s close enough.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The gauge read a little above E, and I put just over 13 gallons in it (17 gallon tank). I got in and noticed it was just above F.

it’s like having a normal gas gauge in any other car. I’m glad I took the time to calibrate the instrument cluster voltage regulator.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The gauge read a little above E, and I put just over 13 gallons in it (17 gallon tank). I got in and noticed it was just above F.

it’s like having a normal gas gauge in any other car. I’m glad I took the time to calibrate the instrument cluster voltage regulator.
Are the other gauges just warning lights? I wasn't aware they made a cluster like that early on.

My 85 B2 has gauges with needles for each.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals