• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel filter???

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dont know which one I have. The inline or the reservoir type. When I'm under the truck I see a lnline looking thing buts it's a different shape than the filter I just bought. And my lovely Haynes manual just says early models use reservoir type and later models use inline has no other specifics. Please help.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My 87 has both...just that the rear one was empty. If you take it apart you have to buy a filter for it which from what I could find is the wrong one but you need the new O-ring that comes with the filter. The metal filter you got for it goes towards the front in the left frame rail near the engine. I didn't find mine until a guy at NAPA told me where it was.

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I found both, I thought the front one was part of the fuel sending crap
Well I returned the other one if I have to buy it again it's only 10$

Vanner1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
460, 351M
Transmission
Manual
The inline one under your driver door is the high pressure pump.

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Filter on my 86 BII.

Forward of this is the high pressure fuel pump. Some have a inline filter forward of that. I think in 89 they went to one high pressure pump in the tank and did away with the pump on the frame rail.

Last edited:

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok cool thanks that's the one I changed. Do I need to change the other? Doesn't look like it's ever been changed

jhammel85

The high pressure one (inline) is the more important one IMHO. From what I understand, Ford states that the one you serviced should never need servicing....That's something I'm still on the fence about myself.

You definitely cannot go wrong changing the inline filter. It should be part of regular maintenance.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
The high pressure one (inline) is the more important one IMHO. From what I understand, Ford states that the one you serviced should never need servicing....That's something I'm still on the fence about myself.

You definitely cannot go wrong changing the inline filter. It should be part of regular maintenance.
yeah i've read the same thing.. i've changed my inline one a few times but never the one pic. it runs fine so... OH WELL

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lol well I serviced it anyways.... Does anyone have a p/n from anywhere for the inline one? Like I said, the one I had from autozone was a totally different shape than the one that's on it. Shorter and wider around.

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Filter on my 86 BII.

Forward of this is the high pressure fuel pump. Some have a inline filter forward of that. I think in 89 they went to one high pressure pump in the tank and did away with the pump on the frame rail.

If you have a inline filter chances are there will not be a filter here. Let this filter get to dirty and the engine will stop. I know this from experience.

Strieg

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
theres definitly another thing that looks like an inline filter. i changed that filter yesterday, but truck didnt run any differently. im wondering if i need to change the other thing..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals