• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Filter Question

02RangerMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm doing some 90,000 mile maintenance on my ranger. Got the new plugs installed, that passenger rear one was fun! Installed new wires, new air filter, oil and filter, new belt, coolant flush etc. Well now i'm to the fuel filter. I get under the truck and it doesn't look anything like the one on my GEN 3. How the heck to i disconnect those fittings. The colorful plastic ring tools that worked great on my old ranger dont do it. I think the orange and green plastic clips need to be be removed but they also look very delicate and the filter didn't come with new ones. Anyway this is what i've got, any help is appreciated.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Actually those green and red tabs make it very easy to replace the fuel filter. Don't pull them out, you push them in to release the fuel line. I grab the fuel filter with one hand a wrap my other hand around the fuel line and push in the orange or green tab with my thumb nail. While holding the tab in you can pull the line away from the filter. You could also push them in with a screw driver but that is more cumbersome for me.

02RangerMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I guess sometimes its easy to miss the obvious. Thanks for the quick reply, the new filter went in easy now that i knew i wasn't doing it wrong. Those clips are pretty hard to push in but i got them off and back on the new one. Only had a few ounces of fuel spill out on my arm. Oh well. 90K maintenance complete!:yahoo:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
It helps a little to push the fuel line toward the filter first before pushing in on the tab. It also helps to have a very strong thumb nail. Glad you got it done.

Now you can look forward to replacing the fuel pump. I had to do mine this weekend because of a bad fuel check valve at 97K miles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals