• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel filter location

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Can anyone tell me the exact location of a fuel filter on a 1986 2.3l ranger 4x4

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
So no one knows where the fuel filter is on a 86 2.3l 4x4 ranger?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
And another question can i use a regular round tire pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure? or do i have to have a gas pressure guage?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Inside the driver framerail, located under the door, before the framerail bends up to the coil bucket...As far as checking pressure, I would use a special gauge for that...
SVT

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Inside the driver framerail, located under the door, before the framerail bends up to the coil bucket...As far as checking pressure, I would use a special gauge for that...
SVT
ok i got two things in the frame rail under the door both have metal brackets one has wire and the other doesnt the one that doesnt have wire is right beside the transfer case with 3 bolts.and what the name of the tool i need to use?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
One will be vertical (don't mess with this one), and the other is horizontal and closer to the front, this is the filter, one side (I believe the side coming from the tank) will have a small clip, just remove the clip and pull the fuel line off, the other side you will need a fuel line disconnect tool...
SVT

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
One will be vertical (don't mess with this one), and the other is horizontal and closer to the front, this is the filter, one side (I believe the side coming from the tank) will have a small clip, just remove the clip and pull the fuel line off, the other side you will need a fuel line disconnect tool...
SVT
the one at near the front has wires going to it though.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Thats going to be your second fuel pump, your filter should be between that and the motor, look just in front of the pump, this is where the filter should be...
SVT

pbilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
1988 2.3
Transmission
Manual
the one that the last guy told you not to touch is the fuel filter its a canister filter the bottom unscrews and you just replace it i have a 85 same set up

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Transmission
Automatic
This may or may not be the filter.

Look forward of this you will see the high pressure fuel pump. Follow the line out of the pump forward and if there is no filter by the time you you get to the engine you have the canister filter shown in the picture. Use a strap wrench to turn it off.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If this is the style filter you have, be cautious when re-installing the cover, do not get the O-ring pinched (it helps to lubricate it) as it will leak. At the time I had my B2 I unscrewed only to find mine had no filter inside, so I didn't know exactly what it was at the time...
SVT

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
If this is the style filter you have, be cautious when re-installing the cover, do not get the O-ring pinched (it helps to lubricate it) as it will leak. At the time I had my B2 I unscrewed only to find mine had no filter inside, so I didn't know exactly what it was at the time...
SVT
thats what it looks like i havent tryed looking in front of the other fuel pump and the one you showed me a pic of whats the name of it so i can find one at the parts store

Irokranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
fuel filter..... really easy to say

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Transmission
Automatic
This filter is most commonly known as a canister filter, if you have the one forward of the pump it would be a inline filter. Over the years I have seen several different set up's. Some with only the canister, some with just the inline with no filter in the housing pictured above, some without the canister housing at all. One I saw had a inline filter and a canister filter. At this age its hard to tell what people have done to the fuel systems over the years. As far as the 86 I think they came from the factory with just the canister with a filter in it. I could be wrong but that is what I have seen the most of on the 86.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
This filter is most commonly known as a canister filter, if you have the one forward of the pump it would be a inline filter. Over the years I have seen several different set up's. Some with only the canister, some with just the inline with no filter in the housing pictured above, some without the canister housing at all. One I saw had a inline filter and a canister filter. At this age its hard to tell what people have done to the fuel systems over the years. As far as the 86 I think they came from the factory with just the canister with a filter in it. I could be wrong but that is what I have seen the most of on the 86.
ok i found it on the parts store website i was just overlooking it and i dont think i have to replace it because am getting a good 40psi of pressure at the rail.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals