• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel filler neck hose?

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Can someone give me a link to purchase the two fuel filler neck hoses that I assume go from the fuel filler neck to the gas tank? I don't see anything on Rock Auto and none that fit on Amazon. Is this an item I have to order from the dealer?

2001 Ford Ranger XLT, standard 6' box (Styleside). Not a stepside or anything like that.

Is there something that can be used to keep the hoses from rubbing? Mine are severely rubbed on each other to the point it's very flat spotted. I know trucks with air brakes have some sort of plastic piece that is used to keep the air hoses from rubbing on each other. Not sure what they're called or if that can be used in this application.

Do I only need a screw driver to replace the hoses (assuming the bed is off)?

Last edited:

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, no, my fuel filler neck is new. I just need the two hoses, not the fuel filler neck.

Last edited:

Beej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
"When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a whole 'nother tune." -Burt Gummer

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Which hose is which? Is the big hose the vapor hose or the hose that fuel goes down? I'm guessing the condition of the vapor hose doesn't matter as much?

That one you linked looked to be the main hose that fuel goes down? Were there any coupon codes? Did all you need is a screw driver?

Beej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
"When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a whole 'nother tune." -Burt Gummer
Which hose is which? Is the big hose the vapor hose or the hose that fuel goes down? I'm guessing the condition of the vapor hose doesn't matter as much?

That one you linked looked to be the main hose that fuel goes down? Were there any coupon codes? Did all you need is a screw driver?
Easy there. This is kinda why I linked you my thread - there's a lot of helpful pictures in there.

The smaller hose is the vent hose and the larger one is the fuel fill hose. And the condition of the vent line does matter because you can still get leaks. It especially matters in states like California where they test that kind of thing.

Rule of thumb: If you need to replace your filler hose, you should probably replace your vent hose as well. They are relatively cheap anyhow. And replace those clamps, too. You'll thank me later.

There is a coupon code, but it's only for something like 3% off. Still, better than nothing. It's something like 'Fill' - look around on the website while you're shopping around, you'll spot it.

As for finding the parts on the website, they automatically suggest the correct vent hose and clamps. Just make certain you get the quantities right. (The vent hose is ordered by the inch! So if you need a vent hose twelve inches long, then enter 12 in the quantity box!)

Now, as for the replacement itself...

For one thing, you're gonna want to pull your bed off. You're gonna need a T25 torx bit, and preferably an impact wrench. A breaker bar will work, but that takes some real elbow grease to work out if there's even the least bit of rust on those bolts. There should be six bolts - three on each frame rail, two in front and four in the rear. (The rear ones will be shorter than the front ones.)

Next, remove your gas cap and unbolt the filler neck from the side panel. Make sure you don't make any sparks!!! :icon_surprised:

Rather than take the bed completely off, I've been advised by a friend that you can prop the front-end of the bed (the end by the cab) with a good, sturdy piece of wood. (Think of how a car's engine hood is propped up and you'll be on the right track.) Just make certain you don't mess up your tail lights or any of the wiring back there in the process. I haven't tried this yet, so I don't know how it stresses things back there, but I doubt there's any issues.

Anyhow, now you can get at the filler hose. Use a 1/4"-drive socket wrench to take off the hose clamps - I forget what size the socket is, but it's most likely metric.

The new hose is not an exact fit!!! First measure and cut the short end (the one that attaches to the fuel tank) so there's about a 1/8th inch clearance between the bottom of the hose and the frame rail - you don't want it to be in contact or else vibrations will wear a hole in your new hose!!!

Next, re-attach your filler neck to the side panel in the cargo bed. Yes, I know this seems backwards, but just trust me here and keep reading.

With the hoses attached to the fuel tank, clamped down, and oriented in the correct direction, carefully lower the bed back down on the frame rails, make sure the hoses are properly routed through the gap between the bed and the frame rail, and then bolt the bed back down.

NOW, trim the intake-end of the filler hose and vent hoses! This is much easier to do with everything else back in place - this way there is absolutely no guess work.

Fit the hoses onto the filler neck, tighten down your hose clamps, and you're good to go and gas up. :headbang:

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the information. Do you know how long both hoses are? I read your thread and didn't see it mentioned. Not sure what to order for the vent hose since you said it's by the inch. I'll take your advise from the thread and hook the filler neck up first with the bed back on, then cut the hose. What did you use to cut the hose? Not sure if I have anything sharp or large enough.

I still don't see the specific vapor hose on their website.

Do I need to order two sets of clamps (4 total) for the hoses (one set at the fuel tank, and one set at the fuel filler neck)?

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Funny you mention what your friend said. I did something sorta similar but I used a winch we keep for skinning deer.

Beej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks for the information. Do you know how long both hoses are? I read your thread and didn't see it mentioned. Not sure what to order for the vent hose since you said it's by the inch. I'll take your advise from the thread and hook the filler neck up first with the bed back on, then cut the hose. What did you use to cut the hose? Not sure if I have anything sharp or large enough.

I still don't see the specific vapor hose on their website.

Do I need to order two sets of clamps (4 total) for the hoses (one set at the fuel tank, and one set at the fuel filler neck)?
Ergh... I didn't take exact measurements because it's kind of a bitch to do when your points of reference are vague.

Seriously, if I knew exactly where the end of the filler neck would be when I sat the bed back down on the frame rails, this would have been a lot easier.

As for what I used to cut the hose... I used this: https://www.leatherman.com/wave-10.html

Seriously. Get yourself one of those. They are indispensable, and if you somehow manage to break it Leatherman WILL fix it, no questions asked.

And yes, four clamps in all, two for each hose. One set clamps it to the fuel tank and the other to the filler neck.

To find the vent hose, add the filler hose to your cart and it should appear below on the next page where it says "Other Items You Might Be Interested In"

But just in case that somehow eludes you, here: http://www.fillernecksupply.com/3-4-fuel-line-filler-neck-vent-hose-sold-by-the-inch/

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, not sure what I should order for the hose since it's by the inch? Just order 2 feet and cut it?

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, not sure what I should order for the hose since it's by the inch? Just order 2 feet and cut it?

Basilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

masanders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Don't get louder, improve your argument.
Thanks for a good write up. I've got the same problem currently.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Couple years ago I inherited, sort of, my uncle's 1996 Grand Marquis. Filler neck had a hole rusted in it and leaked gas if you filled the tank.
Part was discontinued by Ford but I found a repro unit on Amazon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals