• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Delivery/ TPS Sensor problems

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You have narrowed it down to a fuel supply issue correct? It seems that way. The fuel pressure really should be tested while going down the road. What I do is get a regular pressure gauge of any type. put a hose barb on it, and get a long rubber hose and hook to the end of it. I then take the guts out of the schrader valve on the fuel pressure test port, and then slip the rubber gauge hose over the schrader valve and use a hose clamp to tighten it. I then run it as best I can through the back of the hood and tape it to the windshield.

But you don't have to do that if you already know it's a fuel problem.

it_was_an_accident

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I did play with the idle set screw a bit wondering if that might be the issue. I backed it off and tightened it a full turn and it didn't change the symptoms in either direction. I did adjust the idle speed.... so before when it would periodically shudder it would drop about 300 rpm and die. I set it slightly higher so now it will still periodically shudder and drop 300 but it doesn't die. I've also tried two different throttle bodies with the exact same results - one is the stock small bore and the other is the larger (54mm I think....) from an 86 or 87. They use the same TPS.

To give a little more background - I replaced the rotted out relay harness with fresh wires and relays. When I initially bought the truck I had some insulation that rotted off the fuel pump relay and if jiggled in the right way would short. Some liquid electrical tape got me through for a long time but always with the intention of eventually replacing. The long term symptom with this truck was a little wispy white smoke and the smell of fuel at the tailpipe, along with horrendous mileage. Otherwise zero performance issues. When I replaced the relay harness ends, suddenly no more wispy white smoke or smell of fuel. I also double checked all of the fusible links at that time including the one behind the coil. Everything had continuity.
Where did you find a wiring harness? I have been searching for about a month for a wiring harness for my 88 2.9 ranger.

aball4620

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Where did you find a wiring harness? I have been searching for about a month for a wiring harness for my 88 2.9 ranger.
I ordered aftermarket relay connectors with pigtails and soldered them in. From everything I’ve researched and read you’re headed to a junk yard if you need a full harness. I’ve also read posts from people who’ve had luck getting a harness from someone doing a 4.0 swap.

it_was_an_accident

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I ordered aftermarket relay connectors with pigtails and soldered them in. From everything I’ve researched and read you’re headed to a junk yard if you need a full harness. I’ve also read posts from people who’ve had luck getting a harness from someone doing a 4.0 swap.
So I called around to the junkyards around here....there is 1 2.9 sitting in a salvage yard with a full wiring harness...and was going to cost me $300 + $40 in shipping....but I ended up wiring everything correctly, just had a bad diagram for spark plug wires to the distributor cap. THANK YOU for the info though

aball4620

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I called around to the junkyards around here....there is 1 2.9 sitting in a salvage yard with a full wiring harness...and was going to cost me $300 + $40 in shipping....but I ended up wiring everything correctly, just had a bad diagram for spark plug wires to the distributor cap. THANK YOU for the info though
Wow! Pick N Pull has their most expensive harness option at 38.99 and you can usually pay a yard picker to pull it out and ship it to you for not much more than that. Opens up the whole country. Not new, but on a 30 year truck....

Glad you got your plug wires in correctly!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals