• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel cell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking into a fuel cell to mount in my bed, i was just wondering what all I need from fuel pump to lines, just everything I need to make it happen I have a 1983 ford ranger that has a mechanical fuel pump

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
with a mechanical pump, i think you can just run the lines from the old tank to the new tank. those old school pumps work differently

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Mechanical fuel pumps are great at creating suction. With a fuel cell mounted in the bed... you will also get a certain amount of gravity feed to the pump. The only thing you should need to do is run lines from the new tank to the existing lines... or you could completely replace the existing fuel line from the new tank to the pump. Probably wouldn't hurt to put an in-line filter between the tank and pump.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah that’s true and what about, the unit that’s in the stock tank just transfer it over? And also my fuel gauge isn’t working any ideas? I replaced the float and it is not stuck either

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
what unit? the sending unit for the gage? it might not fit into the fuel cell but you can get generic ones that you can "tune" to read the same as the stock ford one.

ground the wire from the sender and see if your gage moves. if it doesn;t move, the gage is not getting a signal or is bad, has a bad connection, corrosion on the wires, etc.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
3/8" flexible steel line from Summit Racing, 3/8" EFI hose, canister fuel filter before pump, clear glass filter before carb, using 3/8" hose only for the tank connection and carb connection. Most fuel cells are going to take a Chevy sender, so, consider a Chevy gas gauge. I would look at baffles or foam in the tank. For a daily driver I would mount it inside an ALUMINUM tool box with aluminum hinges. Opening a steel tool box might create unwanted sparks (boom). Ground the tank, ground the box. I think the ground would be from the filler neck bolt to the frame, BUT, whatever the maker suggests.

If you can, go for a sight gauge on the cell since gas pump shutoffs will probably not work with your fuel cell.

You probably want a vent with a roll over valve, I bought my valve at Spidertrax, I do not know if they sell them anymore.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals