• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Frustrating .22LR

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
What is the firing pin protrusion out of the front of the bolt? Are there dings in the chamber from someone dry firing it?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What is the firing pin protrusion out of the front of the bolt? Are there dings in the chamber from someone dry firing it?
I'm not sure what the actual protrusion is, I don't have a depth micrometer at home that will fit in there. It appears to come about flush with the outer end of the relief for the base of the cartridge.

There is a spot on the chamber opposite the firing pin. It could be from a dry fire, or it could be a machined relief. It looks really clean, like it was cut, not stamped.

If I get time again today I'll take it back to the range and see how it does with just the Federal rounds.

KaHOnas

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Get the job done, correctly, the first time. There's beer to be had.
From my experience, I’ve had less than optimal performance out of Remington and Winchester plinker-box ammo. Federal has always given me solid performance. This is based n multiple .22s I’ve had. I can expect about 1 out of every 10 Golden Bullets to be a dud.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Did the slot or bore where the firing pin rides get buggered up with the old pin? I had that happen on an old 16ga shotgun I was working on. It may just be that the dimensions of the new pin just aren't quite right and it isn't traveling quite far enough.

It's a pretty simple mechanism - it's got to be in the right place and move in far enough to smash the rim, so it's just location and travel.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Some of those old Mossberg's are kinda odd, I have a 151M(b) that is very persnikity on rounds, it'll fire anything but feeding is the hard part with the entry ramp as they literally jump out of the ramp and into the bore being a rear tube fed setup... The firing pin is kinda picky, sometimes it'll double fire, when I first got it I tried all sorts of stuff... I should take that thing out soon, maybe later if it stops raining...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well the public range was crowded and dad is busy so he can't take me to the private range today. I found a spot in the woods behind the house with a good back stop and not pointing particularly in the direction of any houses (there is on in that direction, but its almsot 1/4 mile away through trees), and I fired it two more times without issue on the Federal rounds.

Maybe it just doesn't like the Remies. I'd be OK with that, Federal is cheaper anyway.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Firing pin protrusion should be about that of a rim thickness; maybe a little over 0.040". If it gets much over that it can impact the chamber if dry-fired, which was a common problem in old guns. If you can take the bolt out and eyeball it vs. a cartridge rim, that should get you in the ballpark.

Bulk Rem ammo the last few decades has steadily deteriorated into about the worst junk possible. Sad, because it used to be pretty good. I shot silhouettes with basic green-box Rem stuff, back in the day.

If it works with one brand but not another, there's likely the issue but do check that empties are not coming out of the chamber with a scratch from a burr.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1 for not being a Remington fan

My Mossberg 702 (modern rifle made in South America) short cycles with the crap and tries to fold it in half. Federal and CCI run good.

Also it mine likes to run on the drier side. I did the right thing and cleaned it once and it was a dry firing son-of-a-gun. It didn't like oil in the mechanism as it actually slowed down the movement of parts. I kept trying it/cycling it and it came out of it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Golden Bullets used to be pretty good. I'd still shoot them but I haven't seen them at a store in years.

Thunderbolts are terrible. They go bang but the accuracy sucks bad, and they are very dirty. They're almost unusable in certain guns, namely pistols.

My go to for hunting is American Eagle 38g hollow points and Mini-mag hollow points. I shot up a lot of that American Eagle when I was a kid... IMO it's one of the only bulk brick brands that doesn't suck.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've had good success with Golden Bullet. Thunderbolt... well you get what you pay for. With mine, they usually work but there is reliability issues. Federal has run well for me and few others. Since most of my 22LRs are semiautomatic actions, I try to stick with high velocity in order to make sure the action runs as it should.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Maybe worth looking at the hammer spring, is it striking the pin hard enough to cause the primer to fire.

I'm sure you have cleaned up the bolt assembly to rule out "gunking" up of the moving parts.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
+1 for not being a Remington fan

My Mossberg 702 (modern rifle made in South America) short cycles with the crap and tries to fold it in half. Federal and CCI run good.

Also it mine likes to run on the drier side. I did the right thing and cleaned it once and it was a dry firing son-of-a-gun. It didn't like oil in the mechanism as it actually slowed down the movement of parts. I kept trying it/cycling it and it came out of it.
Maybe thats the issue with my Ruger semi-auto handgun. It has gotten to where it misfeeds at least 50%. Used to be my favorite thing to ho plinking with. Now I can’t stand to look at it. But i may be leaving too much oil when I clean it. It has always been slightly picky about ammo, too. Not good for me cuz I’m a cheapskate.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Would this help?

1B057C31-8451-434C-816A-5252B39E6788.jpeg

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Why do you have my T30!?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals