• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

frustrated

WhiteWolf64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/ranger
Transmission
Manual
greetings ranger pros,
i am trying to help out my brother. he owns 1998 ranger. thats what is posted on the door. he has been firing the parts cannon with no results. in a nutshell. extremely rough idle and no power at all. i hooked my fuel pressure guage to it and will give 30 psi at koeo. holds steady. cranks goes to 45psi. quick tap the throttle no more than 50psi. stumbles and knocks. if i can keep it running the fuel pressure is all over the map. needle bounces like crazy. backfires off and on attempting to crank. if yall any ideas please share. he spent a fortune at a local shop and was definetly ripped off. it is a 2.5 engine. please help. no trouble codes using a reader. i wish i had a real scan tool

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That sounds similar to my 2004 Focus before I bought it. The difference was, it wouldn't even rev when the engine was cold, and it didn't backfire when it was started. I demanded that they fix it before I would take delivery. It turned out the timing belt had jumped a tooth.

Have somebody check the timing. Better yet, have them take the front cover off, and make sure the timing chain/belt is set right.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You know it sure could be the timing belt being off... if someone didn't align the auxiliary pulley the cam sensor wouldn't be reading right and they don't appreciate that...

WhiteWolf64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thank you men, I have been suspicious of that from the start. my brother put a new head gasket on. I asked him if he was sure he got the timing right when he put the belt on. Of course he was offended. Thats ok. He has spent a fortune on this truck already. I just showed him your responses. So before he dumps more money in it, he has agreed to let me double check his timing. That will happen this morning. 🤭🤭🤭 I bet you it was not timed right.🤫🤫🤫🤫

WhiteWolf64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/ranger
Transmission
Manual
ok men and women. as suspected timing was as suspected. but you are not going to believe why. if i can send pics i will. my brother did not torque down the crankshaft bolt. the harmonic balancer was wondering around. crank position sensor had no idea.cam position sensor had no idea what to do. ladies and gentlemen double check your torgue specs. if i would have agreed to oh its ok with a lookey look in #1 cylinder. trust me. use a rubber hose. rise and fall. no brother, i am not doing this for failure. so, i pulled harmonic balancer off knowing there is true marks. low and behold the harmonic balancer has created its on keyway. the crank is chewed up. i hope you pros can view the pics. basically. lil brother questions big bro type B/S. dummy let the harmonic balancer walk toward the front. i guess it had to. im surprised it didnt shear the key. the only reason i can think of is because it didnt need to. oh now im his 😇😇😇😇😇🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 is the crankshaft worth trying to save. can a weld fix the channel created. Thank You folks, yall saved my brother a fortune.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A friend told me he fixed a similar problem on his engine many years ago. The engine was still running a decade later with that fix. Used JBWeld to fill the hole. I would try that with a new balancer. Cant really hurt to try...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Yikes...

That's gonna be a tough fix...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I had similar happen once on my turbo 2.3L first time around... turns out the '85 blocks have a shallower hole for the crank bolt so the bolt was tight but a couple threads from contact... it broke the key and screwed up the balancer similar to that. There was still 1/4" of key sticking past the timing pulley so I went to the junkyard and got another balancer, shortened a crank bolt and just ran it... worked fine until I rebuilt the engine and fixed it better...

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> my brother did not torque down the crankshaft bolt.
> low and behold the harmonic balancer has created its on keyway.

FWIW: On some Fords the harmonic balancer bolt is single use and torque to yield (example 2004 Explorer 4.0L), I would make sure I used a new Ford OEM bolt at this stage of the game.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals