• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front spring question?

thorsranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch blocks
Tire Size
265/70/r16
91 ranger Xtra cab 4x4. Bought from teen. It has a 2.3 or 3 inch block in rear bet the front he used the old twist in spring spacers from forever ago. Has anyone swapped in some jeep springs? I've heard they're close enough in diameter but I want a little more height to level the truck out safely as I have 3 pieces of precious cargo

Hopefiend

Reaction score
One thing you may encounter as ive heard is the stiffness of the springs are different.
I think... think being key word here... that the jeep springs may be alot softer than the ranger springs... are you 2x or 4x ?
Alot goes into raising these trucks with the independent suspension set up...
be sure to get it set up right or it will be super squirrelly... alignment issues etc...
Remember as the suspension flexes the caster and camber change on these and if its already sorta stretched to start with the least added stretch throw everything off even more... its a good idea to drop axle brackets and radius arm brackets to match the lift achieved a the spring... this brings all the original factory geometry back to suspension and alignment...

Hopefiend

Reaction score
You can get a 1.5" or 2" spring for it... that wont cause too awful much trouble... may want to at least change camber alignment cams in the knuckle because the tops of your tire will lean out and bottoms lean in...
2" is also enough to affect all that... i have had luck w 2" front lift where there was enough adjustment with the cams adjusted to pull top of knuckle all the way in...
Will for sure need alignment afterward...
I have used skyjacker 2" lift coils for this before... they are fairly cost friendly, they are only gonna give you about 1.5" of actual lift, and they are stiffer than factory...
You will have less shock down travel available...
If you add a 3" body lift which is cheap and easy to install and a set of 31/10.50 on 10x15 rims you will have a nice stance...
Hope all that helps

Hopefiend

Reaction score
I have 4" suspension lift with 4" rear blocks and i think 4" shackles in back with a 3" body lift and 33x12.50x15 on 15x10 rims on mine
7140541C-386B-41A1-9953-59D93C300DCE.jpeg

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Look in the tech library for "washer" lift.

Hopefiend

Reaction score
As far as that goes i have used 5.0 fan pulleys on top of factory springs as a spacer... still have all the geometry issues to deal with though... if you are just gonna trailer to the trail and play in it its fine to just do whatever but if you wanna drive on tne road with your kids in it you may wanna go about it a little more safe like ya know what i mean...

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I did the washer lift with adjustable bushings. Was even able to align it within acceptable standards -- no pull to either side and no uneven tread wear yet.

thorsranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch blocks
Tire Size
265/70/r16
I'm not super worried about geometry currently. Just don't want that spacer shooting out when I'm out logging. Was thinking jeep springs as I can do a bit of swapping at the salvage yard and save a few bucks. Have a few issues to address as it wanders from a loose pitman. And it's a 4x4. A4od wit bw 1354 electronic shift behind a 2.9l. Mostly I have the kids when driving my touareg but my truck on occasion carries the fam

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Stock jeep springs are going to be too short and or soft, there's some that work but I think they have to be aftermarket... there's the leverage factor on a TTB axle that needs stiffer springs than normal... You can gain a bit with stock '91-94 Explorer springs then tune with washers (get 1 1/4" washers, they'll have the 1 3/8" hole needed for the radius arm bolt head), looks like you can get 30 washers for $20 on Amazon. There's room for about an inch of washers that give just over an inch of lift, you'll likely need the fully adjustable upper balljoint sleeves to get it aligned.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's about a 1.5-1 ratio for lift to depth of washers. This is because of the cantilever effect. The wheel is about 1/3 beam length past the spring, which is where the washers go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals