• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Skid Plate

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Anyone built a front skid plate for 1st or 2nd gen RBV? Planning to utilize the sway bar mounting tabs but just want to see others opinions etc.
5410BBE4-9475-43B2-865D-9D0176B4FF67.jpeg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I don't have a good picture of my truck... but AOR uses a bracket that bolts to the frame where the skid plate attaches at the rear and bolts to the bumper in the front. Different bumper then yours... but it might be some fuel for thought.

1668351972826.png

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I did see there's. Same brand as my bumpers. Couldn't bring myself to $200 though when I can likely make on but like the idea.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Ii bought mine before inflation took over. But I also figured I would have close to the price in materials and my time to build it.

I guess when I did it... I had more money then time...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did see there's. Same brand as my bumpers. Couldn't bring myself to $200 though when I can likely make on but like the idea.
Duff has one for only $199.95, not much but it is a lil cheaper...

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Duff has one for only $199.95, not much but it is a lil cheaper...

I like that one but with the issues I have had with Duff unless they gave it to me with free shipping I wouldn’t give them a dime. Such a shame too..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have looked many a time but I have never ordered anything from them.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Not sure if you’ve seen my build thread but I have ranted over the lift I bought and poor quality hardware is the main issue but it’s resulted in massive issues and hold ups. And their customer support is one poor guy named Tony who is EXCEPTIONAL but it’s truly really sad that they put that burden on a key employee like that to catch all the slack of the lack of American Made stuff they have stuffed into their “American Made” lift kit. Hopefully they pay Tony a lot of money but I’m sure it’s not enough. I wouldn’t touch doing business with them again, ever.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I agree.. I grew up thinking if I ever built had or used a full size Bronco, F150 or RBV that’s the route I would go and I couldn’t wish harder I took a different avenue.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anyone built a front skid plate for 1st or 2nd gen RBV? Planning to utilize the sway bar mounting tabs but just want to see others opinions etc.
View attachment 85267
I built one from steel diamond plate just to protect the bottom of the Explorer radiator I installed.
IMG_1802.jpg

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I like it thanks for the idea!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Why is everyone so obsessed with front skid plates anymore? I don't have the stock crossmember that protects the steering and besides the steering the only thing vulnerable is the lower radiator hose that I have zip tied to the bottom of the radiator (converted from 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder radiator which involves flopping sides...). Looks like you have some trans cooler lines which makes sense on protecting... I'm sure I'll add something on my Explorer build but there's nothing off the shelf that will work. From the looks of it I'd just go from the front of the frame rails to the sway bar brackets at about that angle (maybe a piece of angle iron between the brackets for some structure), other than for weight purposes holes shouldn't be necessary, 1/8" plate or diamond plate should be just fine.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Why is everyone so obsessed with front skid plates anymore? I don't have the stock crossmember that protects the steering and besides the steering the only thing vulnerable is the lower radiator hose that I have zip tied to the bottom of the radiator (converted from 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder radiator which involves flopping sides...). Looks like you have some trans cooler lines which makes sense on protecting... I'm sure I'll add something on my Explorer build but there's nothing off the shelf that will work. From the looks of it I'd just go from the front of the frame rails to the sway bar brackets at about that angle (maybe a piece of angle iron between the brackets for some structure), other than for weight purposes holes shouldn't be necessary, 1/8" plate or diamond plate should be just fine.
That's exactly my thoughts. Got a cover from an old engine core 1/8". Going to use the sway bar brackets since the Duff lift doesn't incorporate reusing the sway bar. And yes you are correct, the only reason I feel like I need one is the trans cooler lines... As soon as I installed them I was like huh... What a terrible location. But their routed per factory so I just want something to protect them from getting snagged.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Front skid plates can prevent you from jamming snow and mud directly into the radiator and fan shroud. Plus protect the radiator from branches and trees (slash) when you run them over. Going 3 MPH into a snow field to break a trail that is up to your bumper, can push the snow into the shroud and push it into the fan. One time I went through water deeper then I should have and a wet leaf came up from the front, landed on my starter relay on my 1988 B2, shorted the vehicle out, and stuck me door deep in stinky water. Probably never would have happened with a front skid plate.

You think you are all smart, putting on a 3" body lift, and running dual 2" exhaust down the pass and driver side between the rear bumper and tailgate. So, you not jam your exhaust while backing up making trails or stall it in deep water. Then you get taken out by a wet maple/oak leaf.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals