• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front shock replacement

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Geez, for such easy access, these front shocks were a pain. I bought a 2000 Ranger 4x4 with 214K a few weeks ago. I noticed after giving it a good check in the garage that the rear shocks were fairly new, but the fronts were the originals; obviously way past there prime with 14 years and 214K miles on them.

So, jacked the front left, removed the rim/tire, and the small rubber splash piece to gain easier access to the shocks top nut. Here was the fun....

The shock towers threaded rod was rusted, and the threads were in poor shape; still there, but poor. I sprayed PB blaster on the threads, waited 20 minutes, sprayed again, then began the nut removal. Grasping the lower welded nut with a large pair of vise gripes to keep the shock from turning, I placed the closed end of the wrench on that upper nut. I figured a few raps of a hammer against the wrench would do it. I ended up continuously having to wack the wrench, turning the nut by quarter to half turns each time. After getting the nut within a half inch from the top of the threaded rod, it twisted completely off, breaking the threaded rod with the nut still attached. No harm, no foul, as I got the nut part off, and was able to callapse the shock downward to remove the shock from its upper pearch. This happened on the front right shock as well. The lower two nuts holding the lower part of the shock came off with ease.

New shocks in, and figure I won't be doing this job again for another 200K or 3 to 4 years!

Last edited:

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't done the shocks on my 02 yet (on my list), but my understanding is that the top studs breaking off is fairly common, some even just cut the stud off instead of even bothering with the nut.

NIPs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.5L 4Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
One shot one Kill
U did the pain in the ass way the quick way is sawzall or grinder with a cutting wheel, $30 for either one at harbor freight if don't have them already

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

flatlandriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But more importantly, what make did you choose for new shocks? I have to do the same and I can only find Sensa-Tracs

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
U did the pain in the ass way the quick way is sawzall or grinder with a cutting wheel, $30 for either one at harbor freight if don't have them already

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk
Your right...I have a cutting wheel, and should have assumed that those 14 year old nuts were going to freeze half way up the threaded stalk.

As to what I went with, the Monroe Sensa-Trac #37122

With 214K on this truck, and I don't see myself going off road with it (it is a 4x4 and my son wonders why I don't "4 wheel with it"), these shocks should do real good on the Florida roads and highways.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals