• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Receiver 1998 Ranger

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
Finally got my front receiver installed on my 1998 4x4. I got the receiver from the back of my Dad's 2002. The drawbar was rusted up stuck in the receiver with no retaining pin when he got the truck a couple years ago. We even tried pulling on it with my truck...ended up pulling his whole truck backward with the brakes locked. That thing was STUCK!!! He said he whacked his knee on it now and then if he forgot it was in there, and at the tender age of 79 (with a brand spanking new hip joint), he doesn't need to be breaking any knees, so we decided to just take the receiver off. He isn't planning on towing anything anyway, and he can always put a ball on the bumper.

I got to keep the old receiver for my troubles, and after clean up, cutting to fit between the frame rails, adding tabs to bolt to the frame rails, and new grade 8 bolts, I got it in there.

Had to notch the front crossmember for mine to fit. Other models may not have to. Had to trim a little on the back side too, but I didn't get pics.

View attachment 14074

Checked the fit...
View attachment 14075

I had already welded tabs to each end to allow bolting to the frame rails (no pics). Inside bolts used holes from the original tow points, outside bolts went to the bumper.
View attachment 14076

Had to notch my stock bumper for access. Not quite ready to fab a tube bumper just yet. Who's that handsome devil reflected in the chrome...?
View attachment 14077

Last edited:

BootPowerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'97
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looks good, wish it was that easy for my '97.... maybe it is and I'm to dumb to figure it out.... :dntknw:

Nah, I've got and idea for what I'm going to do, just need a little money for metal :icon_welder: ... don't we all? Thanks for posting.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Let me know when you're ready to fab a bumper, I'll give you a hand with it...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals