• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Main Seal/Front crankshaft seal

Zaon Prime

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

1991 Ford Ranger XLT V6 4.0 GAS Extended Cab 4x4

Alright so I have got two massive oil leaks at the front and back crankshaft seals. I understand the rear main seal, but the front crankshaft seal.... is that just seal with the harmonic balancer? I need a new harmonic balancer regardless, and it looks like the new harmonic balancer has a seal like piece on it. I have been trying to research "Front Main Seal" and "Front Crankshaft Seal" but I am not finding a definitive answer.

I am looking at just picking up a Dorman OE Solutions harmonic balancer from one of the 3 big Auto Parts stores in the U.S.A to replace the the original factory one since 90-91 because the rubber is all cracked and chewed up.

Thanks,

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The oil seal on engines I have worked on is separate from the harmonic balancer. If the balancer has anything on it, it's more of a dust seal than anything.

Zaon Prime

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The oil seal on engines I have worked on is separate from the harmonic balancer. If the balancer has anything on it, it's more of a dust seal than anything.
Thanks for the reply, Okay so then I am at a total loss because I have no idea for what to even search for to replace that seal at the front of the timing cover.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
It's just a timing cover oil seal or timing cover gasket. If the oil is running out at the crank by the dampner then that's what's shot. Check out Rock Auto for some pics to see if this is what is included with the new dampner.

Link: SEAL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals