• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Leaf question

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
What leaf springs work best for the front of a 88 Ranger? Specifically for offroad use only no higher than 25mph. I need to use leafs b/c well Im broke lol and there cheaper from a junkyard than the radius arm shit. Ive got a 2.9 5 speed most of the interrior is stripped and its got a 100lbs front tube bumper/grille combo. Please dont try and tell me to use coils b/c well I would rather use leafs b/c the axles Im gettin are setup for leafs and I dont want to **** with the caster and pinion angle.The truck is being built on the dirt cheap lol.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't know what you're doing, the coils/radius arms are going to be easier to ensure that you maintain correct caster with your suspension setup.

What axle are you using, Dana 30 from a Wrangler? :rolleyes:

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I used rear 4 dr 91-94 explorer leafs in my front set-up on my explorer and they seem to work just fine.

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It depends on how high you want to go.

I'm using toyota front springs with a leaf added, but they go flat (actually slightly inverted) on my 95 supercab, but I have a lot of weight in bumpers and roll bar, etc. the height is actually perfect for the 33's and fiberglass fenders I have now

I'm going to try to add another leaf when I switch to 35's, or I might try set of toyota rear springs, they give the toyota guys about 5" lift when they run rear springs up front.

You could use wrangler springs, but they're soft, you'll definetely need to add a leaf or two.

the other option is stock waggy springs, or waggy lift springs if you want to run some 37-38's.

I agree that leaf setups can be cheaper, but you have to consider the steering situation. Some have not been able to do it without using high steer arms to clear the leafs, so that might add to the cost. I have one high steer arm for the drag link, but the tie rod is in the stock location. something to think about.

JeepRecoveryTeam

May 2009 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt ranger
Engine Size
Cummins 6bt
Transmission
Manual
im running a full leaf pack from the rear of chevy. the 63 inch. then i added 2 leafs from a cherekee and one from a ranger. total of 7 leafs.

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
JeepRecoveryTeam

I think he's looking for front springs.

you used 63" chevys for the front end? from your build page it says you have dodge leafs.

I like your build by the way, and I seriuosly dig those square tube rear shackles.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
"go coils" Umm no

Im using 3/4 ton axles from a 76 ford f250, Height doesnt matter I could care less to be honest the truck wont see a highway a day in its life except maybe a parade or something to promote the club. Flex is what I want and I would like to use leafs and there is a truck on here and Pirate I would like to copy if I could find the link I would post it but its a 80s ranger like mine on leaf suspension with pitbull tires on dana 60s I believe and I believe it would work best for the terrain around here. Sorry Im an impatient guy Im just on a time crunch and its getting to me a bit. Ive got to be done the week b4 memorial day.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
I also came across a divorced 205 tcase and might pick it up for a divorced doubler so I can use the stock gears but thats just more time I have to burn up.

JeepRecoveryTeam

May 2009 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt ranger
Engine Size
Cummins 6bt
Transmission
Manual
I think he's looking for front springs.

you used 63" chevys for the front end? from your build page it says you have dodge leafs.

I like your build by the way, and I seriuosly dig those square tube rear shackles.

yea im sorry i was thinking he wanted to lift the rear of his truck to match the front when he did an SAS. yea in the front i used leafs from the rear of a dodge and added 2 leafs.

yea i broke those Belltech 6400 Shackles so i just made my own :icon_welder:

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
so JeepRecoveryTeam,

You added 3 leaves to the 63" chevys and you added leaves to the full size dodge springs in the front? I wouldn't think any of those would need extra springs since they're full size truck springs. but your truck seems to flex pretty good.

I was planning on the 63" chevy rear springs in the future, so you think they'll be too soft without adding any leaves?

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
midget -
there are also a couple ranger SAS's I've seen using older chevy springs, like 73-87 years.

I always thought they'd be way too stiff, but if JeepRecoveryTeam is adding so many leaves to his full size springs, then maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

your gonna have to deal with pinion angle and caster anyway as most front
d44's are not leaf spring from the factory, I think only fsj/waggy and scout axles come with leafs, but the waggy d44 fronts are spring under, so most people will weld leafs mount on the top and make it spring-over (SOA). The scout d44's- i cant remember if they're spring over or under, but they are setup with 0 degree caster, which most people say sucks and they change the mounts to get some positive caster.

actually, come to think of it, you haven't said what axle your using, so I might be just rambling here. If your using a leaf dana 30, you wont have to deal with the caster, but most guys here will advise against a d30 for strength reasons.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah the 3/4 ton Ford D44 is a leaf sprung axle and I dont want to screw with the pinion angle and caster its part of the reason Im going to use leafs and I dont want it tooo high just flexy. Unfortunatley the one Im picking up is a drum brake front soo after I get everything mounted Ill have to swap to discs later but I can get it back on its own weight again. I came across some older 2" lift jeep springs I might try and just adjust accordingly. Why you guys are throwing so many extra leafs in I cant understand it would hurt the flex alot but I guess most of yall still ave to deal with road manners too.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah the 3/4 ton Ford D44 is a leaf sprung axle and I dont want to screw with the pinion angle and caster its part of the reason Im going to use leafs and I dont want it tooo high just flexy. Unfortunatley the one Im picking up is a drum brake front soo after I get everything mounted Ill have to swap to discs later but I can get it back on its own weight again. I came across some older 2" lift jeep springs I might try and just adjust accordingly. Why you guys are throwing so many extra leafs in I cant understand it would hurt the flex alot but I guess most of yall still ave to deal with road manners too.

If its closed knuckle pass on that thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals