• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Frame Rust 1998

Gnommad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there, not sure if this post is in the appropriate section.
I recently purchased a 1998 4.0 4x4 ranger. The vehicle is in pretty good shape for its age, and when i got it, i was sure to check out the rear frame as the previous truck i had was rusty there. it seemed ok, so i paid the guy and drove it the 3.5 hours back home noting little things here and there i wanted to fix on it. one of which was the abs sensor.
when i took off the front drivers side wheel to do so i discovered that the whole front drivers side of the frame was very very very rusty. like its basically non-existent.
i have done some looking around and it appears that the frame is separated front from back. but the only piece i can ever seem to find to buy is the rear section. not the front.
i suppose my question is, did i just purchase a vehicle which is irreparable? if not, does anyone know where i could find the front section? if so, has anyone here done this repair? im assuming that i will have to grind out rivets/welds.... would it be sufficient when the time comes to replace the rivets with bolts? these are just a couple questions i have as this is not a repair i have attempted before. i'm sure more questions will surface if/when i get into this for real.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
maybe y'all could get one frame and split it

Gnommad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wow! i guess i am the first person ever in the 36 years that ford has been making the Ranger to have this issue. that just blows my mind!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Maybe some pics would help...

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Wow! i guess i am the first person ever in the 36 years that ford has been making the Ranger to have this issue. that just blows my mind!
idk for sure, but maybe, people just replace the whole frame, if they need a front section, because that's the most complex area of the vehicle. for the cost and effort it would take to replace the front section, they could replace the whole frame. i really am just guessing though because all i deal with is surface rust and have never dealt with the frame rotting away.

Gnommad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure how pictures of a rotted out frame would help.... i'm pretty sure we all know what a frame looks like, and i'm pretty sure we all know what rust looks like. I guess i was a little vague when i said "front" and "back". Basically on the drivers side, from the back of the cab/front of the bed all the way to the front bumper is in terrible shape. as far as i can naively tell, it should be like..... what, the body mounts, the suspension mounts, an engine mount and some hardware for the front bumper. remove those things, separate the front frame from the rear frame, insert new frame piece, re-attach all components, go get an alignment, and call it a weekend. seems like replacing the entire frame on a 21 year old vehicle would be kind of ridiculous when just one piece needs to be done. especially given that the frame seems to come in four pieces...

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
all that work plus six bed bolts gets you a complete frame, without breaking down any frames into pieces. and yes pics would help even though we all know what rust looks like.

Gnommad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
unless i am missing something, how does replacing the front left frame rail + 6 bolts = replacing the whole frame? what about the front right rail? wouldnt replacing the front left, and the front right frame rails be = to 2x the work of replacing the front left frame rail?

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
i assumed you were replacing both sides, i wouldnt just do one side of anything on my truck, but hey, thats just me. good luck finding you part. i obviously have nothing you want to hear, so ... ?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The front half of the frame is an assembly. It has crossmembers that are riveted and/or welded depending on the year. You can't just unbolt the left side and bolt a new one in. If it were me, I'd get a good frame and swap everything over.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
instead of looking online, call or go to a yard and see what they may have.
check the sites for a roll-over, sometimes the frames survive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals