• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

front driveshaft u joint

mean machine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
hey guys and gals i have a 89 ford ranger supercab the guy before me put a 3 inch lift on it and changed the transfercase to a bw1350 with the front yoke not a slip its like the older high riders had that i read on here but my problem is that i need u joinmts and advance auto or autozone around me dont list the joints for that style of shaft i need all 3 joints and the centering yoke the one with the ball in the middle that bolts to the t case any help is thankful i dont want to tear the shaft apart till i get all the parts needed they look like theyer bigger than the rear shaft i have one new one from rear shaft part number its a pdq part made by neapco 1-0443 thanks jason:icon_confused:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16

mean machine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
what im looking for is how to get advance or autozone to look them up the places around here rely on the computer too much i need part numbers for the centering yoke and all of the u joints in the front shaft its a dana 28 front axle with the bw1350 fixed front yoke t case has the double cardan joint on front of case and slip in shaft by the diff

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just completely rebuilt my front double cardon shaft on my 97 which is for the 1354 transfer case but i would guess it is the same shaft as u are referring to. I ordered all my parts from Denny's driveshaft online. The parts are all spicer brand. The centering yoke is 211544x. The three u-joints i bought were spicer 5-1310x. Hope that helps. All parts to my door was like 134 and change.
Dan

mean machine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
bigdan i dont think the bw1350 and the bw1354 are the same i dont know and i dont want to order parts that dont fit but thanks does anyone know if they are the same i could get a shaft from jy to put in if so this shaft i got has been shortened at one point someone cut it and made it work my truck is lifted 3 inches and has dana 28 front end a bw1350 fixed front yoke and a fm146 behind the old 2,9 lol u could be right if this is a 1354 shaft it explanes the shorting of shaft cause a 1354 is shorter in the front and the dana 35 axles are longer so it could explane this lol dont know for sure though

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Here is a pic of my front shaft. The length of the driveshaft has nothing to do with the size of the joints or centering yoke. After reading much of the info on Denny's driveshaft ford used those parts which I gave earlier in anything under 1/2 ton vehicles. Plus if you take a tape measure and measure from cap to cap and also the cap diameter you can match it up the with charts listed on their website.

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Closer pic of cardon joint

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Sounds like you have a 87-89 high rider (called sport rider in 89) T-case and front driveshaft. It's not all that common and it wouldnt surprise me if a lot of places don't even list it in the computers. They may actually have to open a... Book. :icon_surprised:

Just pull the driveshaft and measure the u joints. You can still drive it without the front driveshaft in.

mean machine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
ok got a question for u bigdan i just looked those parts up and compared the u joint with my rear joint y would the front shaft take a 1310 series joint which is alot bigger than the 1210 series i have in the rear shaft?? my u joints in the rear shaft are neapco part number 1-0443 can u explane this??

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you don't have factory shafts to begin with so that may be why the current front shaft you have has larger joints in it. Do you have a single rear shaft or does it have the carrier bearing type? My old rear shaft (carrier bearing type) had smaller joints than my new 98+ type single piece shaft. Again, I would just take a tape and measure across the u-joints and match up with numbers on the site. both size joints in the double cardon "should" be the same size. All three of mine were the same size, however if your driveshaft has been modified if might have a different size one down at the front differential. If the size of the u-joints in the double cardon joint matches up with the part number I gave for my joints, then the centering yoke will work with those particular joints. From what I remember the distance across the joint was the same as then 1210 but the diameter of the caps were smaller in the 1210 vs the 1310. So a different centering yoke would be needed for the smaller cap size.

Dan

mean machine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
ok I found out my shaft has a 1210 series cardian joint and a 1310 series u joint the guy told me just get 2 1210 joints a centering yoke has the ball in it and 1 1310 series joint ok what are part numbers for these joints advance and autozone look at me like im stupid thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals