• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front drive shaft upgrade???

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok well I currently dont have a front drive shaft due to dried up yolk and ujoints, So I removed it. I was wondering if there is an upgrade drive saft, like an explorer or broncoII shaft that would fit my 99 ranger?? Or should I just buy the original one from a junk yard?? Thanx

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Not really a way to upgrade unless you change the front output on your transfer case from the later cv cup style to an earlier fixed style, or swapped an older tranfer case that has the correct output. Then simply bolting a 95-96 explorer front driveshaft that has the double cardan joint in will increase its strength. Otherwise, just get a replacement driveshaft and grease that bad boy up.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Are you actually having issues with your previous driveshaft? Like snapping them from too much power or something? If you want cardans on both ends you need to swap in a pre 98 t-case, but the cv style works great.

I never had an issue with my front d/s before I swapped to a manual t-case... even though it had the tulip style cv it took what I gave it.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Not really a way to upgrade unless you change the front output on your transfer case from the later cv cup style to an earlier fixed style, or swapped an older tranfer case that has the correct output. Then simply bolting a 95-96 explorer front driveshaft that has the double cardan joint in will increase its strength. Otherwise, just get a replacement driveshaft and grease that bad boy up.
Ok thank man..:icon_thumby:

Are you actually having issues with your previous driveshaft? Like snapping them from too much power or something? If you want cardans on both ends you need to swap in a pre 98 t-case, but the cv style works great.

I never had an issue with my front d/s before I swapped to a manual t-case... even though it had the tulip style cv it took what I gave it.
Since I locked the hubs fulltime, the driveshaft started vibrating bad. So I took it apart and the yolk was all loose and had no grease left in it.. the bearings were all wornout anyways, so couldnt regrease it and reuse it. But I was just wondering if there was a better replacement since I need to replace it.. Thats all. :icon_cheers:

camodown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty sure you can bolt up the superlift front driveshaft to an unlifted truck. Improvement over stock but pricey

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yea everything is possible but it costs...lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad