• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

front differential pin help

billy14870

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Im working on my 1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 4x4 5-speed.

I have the front axel that is long on the passenger side, and flat on the drivers side if this explains things. Im not sure if its a dana 35 or what.

Anyway... I need to remove the c clips on the passenger side to remove that internal shaft so that I can replace the bearings and seals. The pin in the carrier that I need to remove first has a pin going through that. I have looked online and in everyone that I have seen, there is a bolt that you remove that allows the pin to slide out. Mine doesn't have a bolt, mine just has another pin. I tried getting it out using barbaric methods such as hammer and screw driver and other mist items. I moved the pin about 1mm, but I can't get the ****ing thing out. Im about ready to torch the damn carrier and just get a new one from the junk yard. please help

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I just looked at a 2004 front axle that's on the workbench.
on a 2004 there is no big C clip next to the diff pin. instead there is a small cir-clip in a groove in the splines of the intermediate shaft. you pull hard and the cir-clip contracts against the beveled edge of the side gear and the shaft pulls out.
about that retaining pin, put a 13/64 pin in the hole on the opposite side from the ring gear. that roll pin is hollow, if you insert a too small drift in there it will go inside the hollow roll pin and expand it, thus locking it inside the housing.
again, this is on a 2004 with live axle. the diff has the same part # from 98 thru 11. is there a big C clip next to the side gear on yours?
on this diff, its a 4.10: 1 ratio, the pin will not come out until the ring gear is removed,,, major interference issue.

Perry

Last edited:

billy14870

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Resolved

I finally pulled it all apart!
The shaft inside the passenger side of the axel housing just pulled out with some effort. I used a hammer and a screw driver from the inside and it pushed right out. Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals