• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front axles turning in 2wd

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
This is EXACTLY why I asked @StanC to post his own damn question in the first place.

StanC

Reaction score
Gentlemen, thanks for all the replies.
snoranger That's the post I am speaking of, the F150 or expedition. I know this is a Ranger forum but this is where I saw it. I have been chasing this issue for about 3 weeks since I got the vehicle. I have a 2017 Expedition Limited. It has IWE vacuum locking hubs. I have a hum at highway speed in 2wd. Basically Everything works as it should but my front axles turn when driving in 2wd.
This is what I posted in the expedition forum.
To double check the IWE's and the hose leading to them I used the vacuum line at the IWE solenoid to pull vacuum to both IWE's and it held at over 20in for 20 minutes, wheels spin without turning axles, until I disconnected my vacuum pump then the wheels are connected to the axle shaft as they should be. Then I connected everything back and pulled the line off the reservoir, vehicle off, and there was existing vacuum there. So I believe the check valve is working. It seems like everything is working as it should. I even confirmed the front drive shaft is free when in 2wd with the vehicle running by rotating by hand. The problem is I get a noise from the front end when driving, sounds like a wheel bearing. I installed a new motorcraft hub/bearing on the drivers side and the noise is the same. So I mounted a GoPro to the frame and drove around and found out the axle shaft is indeed turning with the wheel when the vehicle is moving and in 2wd. But I noticed that the axle would stop spinning for a second when I was doing a full turn like in a parking lot. And sometimes the axles did not seem to be turning at the speed the wheels was turning. I assume the axles spinning at highway speed is where the noise is coming from. Any ideas as to why the axle shafts are turning if everything checks out?

I did not get any replies from the expedition forum guys then I found Jim's post and it was the same issue.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Nothing on any pre-2011 resembles what you have on a 2017 Expedition. Not sure about the new Rangers.
Assuming the 2017 was still using the same basic system as earlier F-150s & Ex's, the front axles do turn all of the time. The vacuum actuator is actually on the differential and simply connects the differential to the already turning axles.

StanC

Reaction score
I had that on my 1997 F150 but I believe the newer models do actually disconnect at the hub and the transfer case.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
The newest model I've looked at was a 2011, I think, so that's entirely possible.

Should be fairly easy to check, if there's a vacuum line at the hub, then it's vacuum actuated. If not, it's probably always connected.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Gentlemen, thanks for all the replies.
snoranger That's the post I am speaking of, the F150 or expedition. I know this is a Ranger forum but this is where I saw it. I have been chasing this issue for about 3 weeks since I got the vehicle. I have a 2017 Expedition Limited. It has IWE vacuum locking hubs. I have a hum at highway speed in 2wd. Basically Everything works as it should but my front axles turn when driving in 2wd.
This is what I posted in the expedition forum.
To double check the IWE's and the hose leading to them I used the vacuum line at the IWE solenoid to pull vacuum to both IWE's and it held at over 20in for 20 minutes, wheels spin without turning axles, until I disconnected my vacuum pump then the wheels are connected to the axle shaft as they should be. Then I connected everything back and pulled the line off the reservoir, vehicle off, and there was existing vacuum there. So I believe the check valve is working. It seems like everything is working as it should. I even confirmed the front drive shaft is free when in 2wd with the vehicle running by rotating by hand. The problem is I get a noise from the front end when driving, sounds like a wheel bearing. I installed a new motorcraft hub/bearing on the drivers side and the noise is the same. So I mounted a GoPro to the frame and drove around and found out the axle shaft is indeed turning with the wheel when the vehicle is moving and in 2wd. But I noticed that the axle would stop spinning for a second when I was doing a full turn like in a parking lot. And sometimes the axles did not seem to be turning at the speed the wheels was turning. I assume the axles spinning at highway speed is where the noise is coming from. Any ideas as to why the axle shafts are turning if everything checks out?

I did not get any replies from the expedition forum guys then I found Jim's post and it was the same issue.
Last time I talked to him about it... he just leaves it in auto 4wd. It doesn’t make any noise with the the IWEs engaged.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Auto hubs usually fail and won't lock. Warning signs are when they start buzzing. The vacuum hubs are notoriously unreliable, and that is why Ford went live axle after only 2 or three years.

AJ
I don't think it was even that long. I'm sure it's in the Tech Library someplace but the pulse vacuum hubs came out in 1998 and as I recall Ford scrapped them and went to an always-live front axle halfway thought the 2000 model year.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I don't think it was even that long. I'm sure it's in the Tech Library someplace but the pulse vacuum hubs came out in 1998 and as I recall Ford scrapped them and went to an always-live front axle halfway thought the 2000 model year.

So from 1998 to halfway through 2000... isn't that like... 2 or three years?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals