• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front axles turning in 2wd

StanC

Reaction score
Jim
I saw an old post where you were having an issue with the front axles turning in 2wd. You had tapped you axles to the sway bar bolt and the tape broke when you drove. I have that same issue and wanted to know if you resolved it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@StanC

It's hard for us to know which Jim you speak of... or the post you refer to.

If you're having an issue with your truck you should just post a new thread in the appropriate Help section... or ask the question in the thread for which you're referring to.

StanC

Reaction score
I was referring to Jim Oaks.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
What year is your truck?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There are three types of front hub on a Ranger, depending on year. The first is a manual locking hub. These, you can drive in 2WD with the hubs locked, and the front axles, differential, and drive shaft will turn with the wheels, even though they are not being driven by the transfer case. Generally, though, it's better to get out of the truck, and rotate the knob on the hub to the unlocked position, which will allow the front wheels to rotate freely.

The second, are vacuum actuated. These lock and unlock automatically, using vacuum, when you engage or disengage 4WD. They sometimes fail, and people swap them with a manual hub as a matter of personal preference.

The third are always locked (what are they called? I want to call this setup a live axle, but "live axle" refers to something else, right?), which means the front axles, differential and drive shaft always rotate, whether you select 2WD or 4WD.

In order for people to help you, we need to know more about your truck. Year is a good place to start. Later trucks, if I'm not mistaken, only had the third kind of axle. Middle years only had the vacuum actuated hubs, but early trucks had either manual or vacuum actuated.

Jim's truck (@Jim Oaks), by the way, was a 1997, I think, with the vacuum actuated hubs. If I had to guess, he fixed it by swapping them for manual hubs. Right, Jim?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
@1990RangerinSK jims truck is a 1996 with manual hubs. Vacuum activated hub came out in 1998 when the Ranger went to IFS.

And you forgot the automatic hubs which are very similar to the manual hubs but instead of a a knob that you turn there is an internal cam that locks the hub when the axle starts turning.

Your "live axle" hub is just that, the hub and axle never disconnect. The axle always turns so it is always "live" and I believe all 2001 and newer Rangers have this setup. But instead of u joints most live axles have cv joints.

AJ

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It was Jim’s F150 that he taped the axles. It was when he was working on the IWE issue.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@1990RangerinSK jims truck is a 1996 with manual hubs. Vacuum activated hub came out in 1998 when the Ranger went to IFS.
Ahh, thanks.

And you forgot the automatic hubs which are very similar to the manual hubs but instead of a a knob that you turn there is an internal cam that locks the hub when the axle starts turning.
And those were available concurrently with the manual hubs, right? With all 4x4 Rangers getting the vacuum actuated hubs in 1998?

Your "live axle" hub is just that, the hub and axle never disconnect. The axle always turns so it is always "live" and I believe all 2001 and newer Rangers have this setup. But instead of u joints most live axles have cv joints.

AJ
Is that actually called a live axle? Or does live axle refer to a solid axle that is driven, like the rear, solid axle on a RWD?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Is that actually called a live axle? Or does live axle refer to a solid axle that is driven, like the rear, solid axle on a RWD?
Yes... a live axle means an axle that is alway moving when the tires are moving.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Ahh, thanks.

And those were available concurrently with the manual hubs, right? With all 4x4 Rangers getting the vacuum actuated hubs in 1998?
Yep, my 97 started life with auto hubs. Those went bad and I changed out to manuals which are much stronger and a direct replacement for the auto hubs. All you need is the Hub nuts for the manual hubs.

Yep, live axle is what it is called. Your rear drive axle is technically a live axle as well too.

AJ

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yep, my 97 started life with auto hubs. Those went bad and I changed out to manuals which are much stronger and a direct replacement for the auto hubs. All you need is the Hub nuts for the manual hubs.
I seem to recall reading that failure of the auto hubs is common. It seems that a number of guys here have had them fail, and swapped to manual. Right?

Are the vacuum hubs also prone to failure?

Yep, live axle is what it is called. Your rear drive axle is technically a live axle as well too.

AJ
Gotcha.

My guess is that the OP has up to a '97 with the auto hubs, and they've failed in the locked position. So he needs to replace them entirely, either with a set of manual hubs, or a new set of auto hubs. Or can he just replace the internal cam (that locks and unlocks the hub)?

Or his transfer case is locked in 4WD. And he needs to replace the shift motor (because the manual shift transfer cases don't usually lock up, do they?).

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Auto hubs usually fail and won't lock. Warning signs are when they start buzzing. The vacuum hubs are notoriously unreliable, and that is why Ford went live axle after only 2 or three years.

AJ

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
If I were to guess the OP has a transfer case shift motor issue. Fairly easily replaced.

AJ

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If I were to guess the OP has a transfer case shift motor issue. Fairly easily replaced.

AJ
True, but he could also just have a 2000+ Ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals