• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

front axle

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, k&n box filter- this thing sucks... air
Transmission
Manual
is it possible to change my open front dif to a limited slip dif? my truck has 3.73s in it.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How about a locker in the front? I believe you'd have to switch the open carrier for a limited slip carrier. If you just dropped the front axle you could pull the cover and install a lock-right locker in there.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it is entirely possible to do, but as Tom said, you will have to swap the open diff carrier, for one for a limited slip carrier. Where as installing a locker (like a Lock-Right) will go right into the carrier that you have now.
I'm just backing what he said.

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is the lockright a selectable locker? im asking because i still will be driving it on the road in the snow. also how much does one cost?

Last edited:

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
wont matter if its selectable unless the 4x4 is engaged and the hubs are locked which I wouldnt recommend on pavement

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nope, it's not selectable. You won't "need" a selectable locker because 4x4 won't be engaged...

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
but will it cause trouble turnin with it in 4x4 on pavement in wintery conditions. this is kinda the reason i would like to put a limited slip in it.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't honestly give you an answer to that question as we don't get ridiculous amounts of snow here in the winter. Most of us get bread and milk and camp out inside when it snows. I don't believe it would considering it's not fully locked all the time. It's an automatic locker so it unlocks when you take turns.

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why didnt yall just say that. sounds like a good product.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
wont matter if its selectable unless the 4x4 is engaged and the hubs are locked which I wouldnt recommend on pavement
People run lockers in live front axles all the time, d30s in any jeep after the mid 80s had a live front axle (possibly exceptions with newer jeeps). His vac. hubs are his biggest enemy.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
why didnt yall just say that. sounds like a good product.
Its something you could get use to. I ran my B2 with a spool in the rear last winter.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
IMO, a LS would be worse up front in the snow with a live axle since there is always resistance between the 2 wheels, even in 2wd. A locker unlocks very easily in 2wd so it should be no problem in snow when in 2wd, when in 4x4 just use "neutral" throttle when cornering and it will unlock.

Personally I think you're be better of locking the rear though..

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well since i have a ls in the rear, is there really any need to change anything? for wheeling am i better off with the stock diff. does the front do alot, or is the rear more important? it sounds like there will be problems on road in snow if i do anything with the front. i found in snow that if my rear tires are worn down i slide all over the place, but id i swapped the better tires from the front to the back i got much better traction. i would have thought that with the weight of the motor in the front, that better tires on the front would give me better traction. with the better tires on the back instead of the front i found that i could go through snow in 2wd better than 4wd with the better tires on the front.

my truck already wheels like a champ, i just wanted to see if i could make it wheel even better without makin it worse on the road in snow.

Last edited:

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well since i have a ls in the rear, is there really any need to change anything? for wheeling am i better off with the stock diff. does the front do alot, or is the rear more important? it sounds like there will be problems on road in snow if i do anything with the front. i found in snow that if my rear tires are worn down i slide all over the place, but id i swapped the better tires from the front to the back i got much better traction. i would have thought that with the weight of the motor in the front, that better tires on the front would give me better traction. with the better tires on the back instead of the front i found that i could go through snow in 2wd better than 4wd with the better tires on the front.
Lock it up and both ends... That's what I'd do... A L/S is a locker wanna be... Although I have been surprised with my factory Trac-Loc, it is still no way near a locker...

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have an issue of fourwheeler mag that has an article about lsd's and lockers, im gonna read it again. maybe i can come up with something. are lockright's real expensive?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals