• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Axel Seal Leak / Front Differential Leak?

kiallowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,

Vehicle details:

2002 Mazda B4000
6 Cylinder, 4.0L, 4x4

Back again! A couple more issues have popped up, but that’s a given with an old truck. Yesterday I noticed a leak coming from around the front differential on the passenger side towards the passenger wheel. It has been a very slow leak and grimy/dirty. I’m guessing it’s differential fluid and not oil. I’ve been checking the oil levels daily and they are fine. I have had this truck for almost month and this is the first time I noticed the leak (I have been checking for leaks everyday). I usually park on flat ground at my house, but my truck has been parked on an incline the last two days, if that would make any difference.

I’m wondering if the issue is an Axel Seal Leak which is causing this? I’m talking it in to a trusted shop Thursday to get it looked at. Hopefully it’s just the Seal and differential fluid and not oil. which is causing it to slowly leak...

Im just trying to tackle one thing at a time with this truck and looking to get at least 4 years out of it.

thanks in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
One thing you need to remember with oil leaks... they run down and blow back.

That would be an axle seal not a pinion seal. A pinion seal(s) would be located at the driveshaft flange(s). You sure it really is gear oil (you should be able to smell it if it is)... It might be oil leaking down from the engine above. I would suggest a trip to the car wash with a can of degreaser. Clean things up and have another look to determine where it is coming from.

This is just a guess... but the engine oil pressure sender is pretty much right above where you see your leak. It could be that if it isn't gear oil.

This really isn't a Mazda specific issue... they're all basically the same here. When you figure out what is actually leaking... call me out here and I will move this to the proper forum.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for posting pictures, unlike your Reddit post...
I agree with Uncle Gump.
Smell if it's gear oil, and get the engine all cleaned up so you can determine where the leak is coming from.

kiallowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
One thing you need to remember with oil leaks... they run down and blow back.

That would be an axle seal not a pinion seal. A pinion seal(s) would be located at the driveshaft flange(s). You sure it really is gear oil (you should be able to smell it if it is)... It might be oil leaking down from the engine above. I would suggest a trip to the car wash with a can of degreaser. Clean things up and have another look to determine where it is coming from.

This is just a guess... but the engine oil pressure sender is pretty much right above where you see your leak. It could be that if it isn't gear oil.

This really isn't a Mazda specific issue... they're all basically the same here. When you figure out what is actually leaking... call me out here and I will move this to the proper forum.
I will mention to mechanic to look at engine and at the oil pressure sender and oil filter. Maybe it’s a leak from a bad oil filter gasket... just a guess. I won’t know until they take a look at it tomorrow. I will point out to mechanic where the drip is on the front axle seal.

Also, if it was an oil pressure sender leak, wouldn’t my oil light be on? I don’t believe it is..

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Only if the oil pressure is low...

kiallowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
Only if the oil pressure is low...
gotchya, I’ve also been checking my oil level daily and it hasn’t gone down... I will keep looking for a leak but I guess I won’t know until tomorrow when I bring it in to my shop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals