• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Free Truck ......

jon440x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Ok a friend of a friend is going to give me a 97 ford ranger 2wd Auto with a 4 banger in it.

I havent seen the truck yet but i am told this guy is still driving it, but it has a trans problem.

I am told the trans problem is when it is shifting from 1st to second, he said it is almost like you need to let off the gas and then get back on it again for it to shift.

I think that this truck has a 4R44E trans in it, i might be wrong. :dntknw:

Is this a common problem ?

I am hopping it is something simple

Thanks Jon

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
well the price is right, id swap in a manual. i dont know much about automatics. what few ive had i change fluid/filter every 30-50 thousand miles.
________
Lincoln (automobile) picture

Last edited:

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
For the price you can't go wrong! Off the top of my head I can think of three junkyards local to me that give $500 if you drive your truck in. If a junkyard is willing to pay that much, then free sounds good to me.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are those vacuum operated? if so, could be a leak.... but i dont know if those are vacuum controled.

High Desert Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nope it's all electronic.

Try a transfilter and fluid, and some TransX maybe the 75k Mileage stuff.
Sounds like a sticky solenoid.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh, okay! thanks. thats what sucks with electric, you never know what the deal is.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That truck will certainly be worth the cost of a junkyard transmission.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
id get junkyard 5spd parts to swap into it, the price is right and ull have a nice little truck for 250-300 a junkyard would charge ya for the 5spd stuff

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I don't know about you, but with the prices at the yards around here you can do the swap for 150-200 if you wait for the stuff to go on sale. Even if it costs 300 though, that's still a good price to pay if the end result is a 5spd ranger that's good on gas.

jon440x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
ok seen the truck this weekend .......... its a sweet little truck for free ....... needs paint and a windshield, exhaust and a few other odds and ends ...........

the truck has had a hard life but still very useable

it has 260000 km on it

the truck starts first flick, put it into drive and its like something is slipping ........ revs and revs but the truck barely moves, once it does this continues to happen till the truck warms up, then it is drivable with min slippage .........

My therory is ...... the fluid or filter has never been changed in the trans and the filter is blocked ......... or that is where i am going to start .........

I think it has a 4R44E trans ..........

I know that there is a Common Fix For 4R55E / 5R55E Transmissions With A Bad Separator Plate And Valve Body Gasket, when this is a problem how does the truck act ?

Is there any way for me to tell if the gasket is gone ?

Jon

Caps4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 & 1989 & 1
Make / Model
2000 Ranger 3.0
Engine Size
3.0 and 2.9s
Transmission
Automatic
Call your local Ford fellow, and ask about any TSB's that might apply to the truck. I have a 4r44e in my 2000 3.0 and I'm looking into the separator plate update along with replacing the solenoids. My truck hangs in 1st before shifting to 2nd. And I get the O/D flashing when it tries to shift into 4th. A good way to test in the gasket it leaking, is to put the truck into 1st gear manually and bring the truck up to 20-25mph and maybe 4,000 rpms and then let go of the throttle. Do the rpms drop completely off to say.. 1,000Rpms? or Does it hold and the rpms come down with the speed. This is called manual 1st braking. If the rpms drop faster then the speed drops, you probably have the gasket problem... If it holds, then it may be something electrical in the tranny....
The 4r44e is a junk transmission, you really would be better off dumping a 5spd into her, but thats IMHO.

My 2 cents.

-Russ

Last edited:

jon440x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the insite i will do that as soon as i get the truck ..........

jon440x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Call your local Ford fellow, and ask about any TSB's that might apply to the truck. I have a 4r44e in my 2000 3.0 and I'm looking into the separator plate update along with replacing the solenoids. My truck hangs in 1st before shifting to 2nd. And I get the O/D flashing when it tries to shift into 4th. A good way to test in the gasket it leaking, is to put the truck into 1st gear manually and bring the truck up to 20-25mph and maybe 4,000 rpms and then let go of the throttle. Do the rpms drop completely off to say.. 1,000Rpms? or Does it hold and the rpms come down with the speed. This is called manual 1st braking. If the rpms drop faster then the speed drops, you probably have the gasket problem... If it holds, then it may be something electrical in the tranny....
The 4r44e is a junk transmission, you really would be better off dumping a 5spd into her, but thats IMHO.

My 2 cents.

-Russ

Thanks for the reply but i dont think that this truck is sticking in gear, its more of a slip

jon440x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Could this be a broken band

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply but i dont think that this truck is sticking in gear, its more of a slip
hes not asking if it sticks hes telling you theres aproblem if theres no compression braking using that procedure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals