• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Four Wheeler Magazine...M50D Sucks?

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
I'm disturbed to see that Four Wheeler said in the article. "The Beater Files, Our Favorite 4x4s for under $1,000"..... Under the ranger's description "Unfortunately, the Ranger's transmission is often a weak link, especially in the case of the M50D Manual". Most ranger folks know that the M50D is a good transmission and that the A4LD and other automatic transmissions are nothing to write home about.... All i have to say is Wow. They actually feature something ranger and they say the good one is the bad one? Its definitely not a typo, lol.

Not to say its a bad magazine as a whole but where to they get their info? I still enjoy reading it on the can.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well maybe we should all write in and point out the error.

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
I'm writing one as we speak, lol. But I would encourage anybody who is willing to do so to do it.

Here is the contact us link for Four Wheeler Magazine:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/contactus/index.html

And needless to say I'm swapping an M50D in when my 5r55e goes out, yes I said when!

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've heard the same bad things about the m5od, mostly from desert racing forums. I guess I'm going to find out, I'm using one in my short course truck.

Richard

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well the M5OD is nothing special but I certainly wouldn't label it as a bad transmission, just don't beat it like a red-headed stepchild.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
it works fine in a ranger. and it stands up to alot of abuse now compare it to a fullsize truck tranny and it doesnt stand a chance. It was made for a compact truck though. and desert racers break things that you never knew could break so they can stop whining about everything.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I beat my whole truck like a read headed step child, M5OD included. No issues so far.

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
it works fine in a ranger. and it stands up to alot of abuse now compare it to a fullsize truck tranny and it doesnt stand a chance. It was made for a compact truck though. and desert racers break things that you never knew could break so they can stop whining about everything.
The M5OD-R2 is a beefier version used in Broncos and F-150s.

Well the M5OD is nothing special but I certainly wouldn't label it as a bad transmission, just don't beat it like a red-headed stepchild.
Yea, exactly, thats fine if they point out the tranny, just tell em about the bad one! :icon_twisted:

I beat my whole truck like a read headed step child, M5OD included. No issues so far.
:icon_hornsup:

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i'd say the M5OD is no better than an average transmission. We just say it's the best here at TRS because it's the best we have to work with.

I feel like Ford has maintained the attitude that if the truck is being used for anything that would put additional strain on the transmission, we should be buying the F-150 instead. So the Ranger has been neglected like the unwanted second offspring.

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Just to clarify my whole point, i would want to steer the reader of a magazine to the better of the options.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I doubt the author of that had intimate knowledge of Rangers. He probably went around the office asking opinions. You don't have to be right to write.

I could care less what anyone thinks of a Ranger. It's like the 6.2 diesel--everyone thinks it's bad because decades of malignant talk spread by people without useful experience. It's thanks to them that Rangers are cheap and us poor people can own them and get parts. Don't defend the Ranger and prove it's good--shrug and buy low.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I feel like Ford has maintained the attitude that if the truck is being used for anything that would put additional strain on the transmission, we should be buying the F-150 instead. So the Ranger has been neglected like the unwanted second offspring.
Since the F-150's GVW picks up right where the Ranger's lets off, maybe it isn't Ford rather the general public that feel they need a F-150 more than a Ranger?

Each model (Ranger, F-150, F-250...) fill a obvious slot. Since the Ranger is in the "small truck" slot, it only makes sense to have it set up as a "small truck"... not a mini one ton. It fills its slot nicely as it sits.

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
I doubt the author of that had intimate knowledge of Rangers. He probably went around the office asking opinions. You don't have to be right to write.

I could care less what anyone thinks of a Ranger. It's like the 6.2 diesel--everyone thinks it's bad because decades of malignant talk spread by people without useful experience. It's thanks to them that Rangers are cheap and us poor people can own them and get parts. Don't defend the Ranger and prove it's good--shrug and buy low.
Lol, I can picture the office thing happening....

I read that a little while back and was like Waaaaaaaaaaaa? I wrote them but I'll do it again.
Lol, exactly!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
To me none of the ranger tranny's are anything to brag about....I'll take pretty much any GM tranny over a Ford's.

But I like Will's way of thinking......I have 300,000km on my truck and can replacement parts cheap and I still amaze people with it's performance (driveline is all stock).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals