• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found this in the oil pan..

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Hey, don't get me wrong... After a while they fired the B team and sent in the real engineers to fix the problem. I'm sure most of those engineers said "build a whole new motor, this is insane" but they did fix the issue that caused failure and later 4.0 sohc engines can run forever with simple maintenance. Change the oil per the owners manual at 3,000 miles not the 10,000+ miles it says on these fancy new oils. CHANGE YOUR DAMN OIL!

And change the tensioners at 60-70k and the engine is now bulletproof. I've seen them go to 300k on the original chains and guides if they have good tensioners, replaced on time, and good oil changes.

Shadowranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
The "E" or "F" their refering to is the 8th digit in your VIN; that 2nd digit "F' indicates a Ford product.
Considering your original 2001 engine is in a 4x4, it likely has a Balancer;
best way to make sure is take the lower oil pan off & the Balancer (if present)
is visible+mounted directly behind the oil pump up in the "girdle".
Difference in the Timing Kits is the Crank sprocket is different, with or wOut a Balancer.
Next time I've got the front TimingCover off, likely will just cut the Balancer chain off & get rid of that "RubeGoldberg" power sink.
Great! I just took the oil pan off and well, I don't know jack now..:( thanks for the help guys.
I bought this 10 yrs. ago with about 109k on it and don't know it's history other than a basic Car Fax back then....sheesh. Talking to the mechanic soon.. This is going to be fun.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The entire timing system of the 4.0 sohc is a Rube Goldberg design...

Engineer - "Let's have a chain go from the crank to a fake camshaft and then from the fake camshaft to a real camshaft but instead of doing that twice on the front so it's at least easier to fix, let's make an entire other identical setup on the back of the engine so it can't be fixed without pulling the engine!!!"

Assistant - "Should we at least use quality parts so people don't have to fix these things often?"

Engineer - "nope."
The 4.0 SOHC is a typical German design, overcomplicated and expensive to fix. And you have to fix it. When they converted the 4.0 to SOHC they should have cast a mirror image cylinder hear and driven both cams off the front- like all the modular V8's. Instead they used the same casting on both sides and created the cam drive system from hell. You have to keep in mind, these same folks started two wars at home and lost them both.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Likely shouldn't compare wars, considering over the last 60yrs, US has started at least 3 wars under false pretenses & lost, just to keep mil contractors in dough (& their pocketed politicians) & a standing army busy.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Likely shouldn't compare wars, considering over the last 60yrs, US has started at least 3 wars under false pretenses & lost, just to keep mil contractors in dough (& their pocketed politicians) & a standing army busy.
The last war we should have fought ended in 1945, at least the rest weren't here. No American soldier(not "troops"- our kids) should ever be sent into a conflict unless we are willing to pull out all the stops and give them a chance of winning.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
No American soldier(not "troops"- our kids) should ever be sent into a conflict unless we are willing to pull out all the stops and give them a chance of winning.
And that hasn’t happened since 1945. Heck, we are still at war with Korea since a treaty was never signed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals