• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found out the local gas station sells E85...

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I've been pondering this stuff for a while now, but this isn't a post about weather it'll be good or bad, or better or whatever. I need some info on my fuel system.

I have a 1997 2.3L, about 173K on it, always reglar gas, hardly ever any cheap gas (I stick to mostly Shell or Amaco, but now Mobil on occasion since Amaco's gone.) Fuel system cleaner every so often and so on. I know to change out the filter.

ANYWAYS, what I'm getting at is that I heard it'll eat various rubber hoses and seals and stuff in slightly older fuel systems (but I do not know HOW old), do I have to do some work to my Rangers lines? injectors? or am I probably ok? Anyone else ran E85 on a 97?

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
check out this e85 conversion kitlink

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I don't know about that. I can't seem to click on anything that takes me to an order page, nor can I find a cost. And the computer switcher does me no good if the fuel rots my rubber lines and seals out, I want to make sure that this doesn't happen.

Once thats established, I'll run 1/2 a tank with the stock computer for a quick test and see what it does, I'll go from there.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
here is off of their website

If I have a gasoline vehicle and convert it to Ethanol, am I going to damage the engine?
The conversion of a gasoline original car to a FFV, using AutoFFV™ technology will not cause any kind of damage to the engine or to its mechanical parts. No long term problems such as corrosion nor any type of deterioration has been observed other than what normally occurs while using gasoline.

In fact, in many cases it is possible to observe an increase in the engine life while using Ethanol, especially because there is no contamination with lubricating oil. Moreover, Ethanol combustion is smoother and may reduce the friction in the engine and consequently reduce wear and tear. Spark plugs, piston heads and valves are also benefited by the greater burning power of Ethanol.

As gasoline already has a variable percentage of Ethanol blended in to it depending on government laws in each country , injector plugs, spark plugs and other parts of the engine may already be well suited for this kind of fuel.

and an email address they used to have a link to dealers on their site but i can't find it. info@abcesso.com

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
hmm. Well thats partly comforting, but unfortnately I'll have to pick that apart just a little bit more. It says no damage to the engine or it's mechanical parts, would that include fuel injectors too? or just things like valves and pistons and all the metal rotating/recripricating parts. I'm not sure whats inclded in the catagory of "mechanical parts". 2nd, it also doesn't mention the fuel system. It does say "no corrosion nor any type of deterioration" but is that also referring to the mechanical engine as stated before?

don't get me wrong, and don't take this personal in any way, but they are trying to sell something.

Though I do have that bookmarked now :D

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
bump. All I want to know at this point is if I need my lines and seals upgraded to something newer/more resistant.

nn2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not that I'm aware of. You have to change your fuel filter, though, for sure.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
A 97 should be okay. Once cars get older than about 1985's, then you have problems.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can check with the local for dealer and see if your truck is compatible. Give them your vin. E85 is very corrosive and will eat through lines and the bottom of the injectors. It is OK in a smaller dose gas (ie 10% ethonal) as it don't have time to damage the parts. The last I looked your could do the upgrade but like Baddis said the kit is needed.

ozzwoman9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you can also do an online VIN decoder, just do a search

Ranger4banger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
dude i've put a quart of METHANOL in my tank right after i filled it, and took it on the parkway, it ran like a champ, but i burned a quart of oil afterwards haha, but yea you should good haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals