• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found my wife a new truck!

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I know it’s been a while on this thread, but I got the drivetrain out and I am currently in the process of pulling the 5.0 apart to re seal it.
Anyone that knows these 5.0’s knows what I am saying when I say “THESE BOLTS SUCK!”
The 4 bolts to the left and right of the water pump and the R/Flower intake bolt… all 5 of them snapped and it took me 4.5 hours to get them extracted, but I was successful on all 5.
The oxy acetylene torch was my best friend for the whole process.

Attachments

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, it sure would have been nice if they had put a gasket on the waterpump that actually kept the coolant out of those bolts!

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
And the journey continues with stuff getting stuck! When pulling the spark plugs, one of them decided to break off in the head! Any ideas on extracting this ?

Attachments

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I agree that it needs a V8!
I think in certain configurations you could get them with the 4.6L V8. Adrenaline model had the V8 I believe. So they're already out there with V8's in them.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I think in certain configurations you could get them with the 4.6L V8. Adrenaline model had the V8 I believe. So they're already out there with V8's in them.
Up until 2005 they were all offered with the 4.0 SOHC v6 and solid rear axle.
After that they were offered with either 4.6 V8 OR the 4.0 V6 but had independent rear suspension (IRS) …. I went for newest year I could find with the lowest miles and ended up with this truck. I prefer the 302 for obvious reasons but the 4.6 is a mean son of a gun

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Up until 2005 they were all offered with the 4.0 SOHC v6 and solid rear axle.
After that they were offered with either 4.6 V8 OR the 4.0 V6 but had independent rear suspension (IRS) …. I went for newest year I could find with the lowest miles and ended up with this truck. I prefer the 302 for obvious reasons but the 4.6 is a mean son of a gun
Mustang 302 I assume since they were fuel injected by then wouldn't be too hard of a swap into an Explorer seems how they had the 302 option in the late 90's early 00's Explorers, not sure why they never offered that combo in the Sport Trac.
I have the 4.6L in my 08 Explorer, but kind of dislike the independent suspension...and apparently they love to eat wheel bearings LOL.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Mustang 302 I assume since they were fuel injected by then wouldn't be too hard of a swap into an Explorer seems how they had the 302 option in the late 90's early 00's Explorers, not sure why they never offered that combo in the Sport Trac.
I have the 4.6L in my 08 Explorer, but kind of dislike the independent suspension...and apparently they love to eat wheel bearings LOL.
I just used a 2000 explorer as a donor truck. The 302 that they stuffed into the explorer is a natural fit for the sport trac. Only things that need modification is the exhaust, drive shafts and some wiring. (Will be sure to document everything best I can)

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I don’t know if anyone has done this, but I think I have a solution.
Has anyone ever put a super lift on a sport trac?I know the rear needs a spring over conversion and that’s not a huge deal… I need help with the front differential bracket… specifically the one that had the long “arm” that bolts on about a foot down the frame. Does anyone know if super lift has a part for this? Or do I have to cut and weld?

Attachments

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
As with everyone else I’m trying to use all my free time to work on my wife’s truck and my sons bronco lol spreading myself thin.
I installed the exhaust manifolds (cast) and did
O-rings on the injectors and a few other odds and end things before planting the engine. I have before and after pics! Had to move the factory power steering cooler out of the way since the oil pan would hit once the transmission was installed. As far as the drop bracket for the front differential, we are probably going to cut the rear diff mount from the frame of another truck and weld it on to mine and use the super lift drop bracket as it was intended for a ranger instead. Not there yet, but we are getting there!

Attachments

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Cut a mount off one sport trac that is a parts donor and welded it onto the 05 since this lift is for a ranger we had to modify things slightly. Gonna have to do a spring over in the rear, but that’s gonna happen when we get the perches.

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You are doing one heluvajob there man :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you haven't ordered perches yet, receiver tube is pretty available anymore and makes really nice perches with a hole saw for the tube diameter...

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you haven't ordered perches yet, receiver tube is pretty available anymore and makes really nice perches with a hole saw for the tube diameter...
Unfortunately I already got perches, but hey they were only $40 shipped so I can’t complain all that much. Super stout perches from Barnes 4x4 …. Same perched from ruff stuff but $20 cheaper

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Trying to divide my time so I can get some other projects done so here is another small update …
Got the transmission stabbed and torque converter nuts on and torqued.
Also, the driver side control arm needed to be replaced so I went ahead and did that too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals