• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found baby bird in fireplace.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
He’s not a fledgling yet, but can walk and climb pretty well. I have a fireplace insert with a little 3x8” or so hole and some flu closer contraption that sticks into the chimney. Momma probably can’t retrieve the baby and put back in nest. I’m thinking he’s abandoned at this point. What y’all think?
52ED8BB7-50F2-4AE1-82F8-4D47148588FE.jpeg

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Well now that he has been next to a human mom pretty much did abandon him. Start feeding it or find someone to take care of it.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
1847B20A-5148-4686-951C-D8ED3746FD6A.jpeg
Ive ascertained that young General Sherman is a chimney swift. For now he’s got a box to stay in and we’re feeding him baby bird gunk from the pet store. Hopefully we can keep him alive for the next week or so till he’s ready to move out. Maybe we can get him to nest in a bird house till it’s time to migrate.

need to seal the chimney too.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Just saw this, How did General Sherman make out? I “rescued” a baby sparrow from a fallen nest that got lawn mowed when I worked at a cemetery. The bird sanctuary people helped me get some goop to feed him with a syringe and set up a small aquarium I had lying around. He was the only one who survived the encounter with the lawn mower but sadly only made it a couple days.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
He didn’t make it past the next morning. I came up to feed him breakfast and he was loud and active as usual but didn’t eat. Then he was dead an hour later. There was nearly no info on how to make food for these guys. I made some goop out of dog food that he didn’t go for. Picked up some powder mix from the pet store. He got two meals out of that but that was it. I think I just didn’t have the food he needed. I offered to feed him about every hour and he just wasn’t having it.

In hind sight, the best bet would probably be to go up to the roof and stick him on the inside wall of the chimney and hope mom takes him back.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
This past June we had a couple Blue Jays make the mistake of building their nest in our pole barn/garage. I accommodated them as best I could by leaving the door open and making sure there was always seeds in the feeder. One morning I found three nestlings ( I think that's what they're called) on the concrete floor. I removed the nest and placed it in a shallow box, then fastened the box to the top of the clothesline pole near the barn. That's where they stayed until they fledged. Hadda keep my eyes on the cats for about a month.
Oh...Blue Jays are bitches.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
He didn’t make it past the next morning. I came up to feed him breakfast and he was loud and active as usual but didn’t eat. Then he was dead an hour later. There was nearly no info on how to make food for these guys. I made some goop out of dog food that he didn’t go for. Picked up some powder mix from the pet store. He got two meals out of that but that was it. I think I just didn’t have the food he needed. I offered to feed him about every hour and he just wasn’t having it.

In hind sight, the best bet would probably be to go up to the roof and stick him on the inside wall of the chimney and hope mom takes him back.
Bummer. Oh well, at least you gave it a shot.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Baby birds pretty much need one or both parents to survive. There may be some experts that can keep them alive. Just feeding them usually doesn't work.

The best chance for survival is to get them back to the nest or where a parent parent can find them. I found a baby bird that was not able to fully fly yet in my yard. Fortunately, I knew where the nest was and put it back in there with its siblings. The human contact abandonment thing is a old wives-tell. It survived just fine and would sometimes come around to visit me at a short distance when I was outside. At least I think it was the same bird.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals