• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found an axle, want to see if the price is right or if I should pass.

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I located an 8.8" axle of an Explorer Sport Trac, door code say's it has 4.10 gears and factory locker. Just got off the phone and was quoted $350 from complete axle included the brakes. Seems pretty good, but wanted to find out what others have been paying for them.

Heading there tomorrow sometime before noon to pick it up, appreciate any help on the matter.

I'll be installing it on my '03 Mazda B2300, which also has 4.10 gears but I'm looking to swap out the motor sometime in the future.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Keep in mind that the Sport Trac axle probably has drum brakes. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you should be aware.

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Pretty sure the one I was looking at had disk brakes, it's on an '03 model.

Just did a quick search online and it seems they switched to disk brakes in '02. Info is from Wikipedia for what that's worth...

"For 2002, the chassis was given four-wheel disc brakes (replacing rear drum brakes) with the rear discs being the largest offered on a solid rear axle Explorer (11.83" vs 11.2")."

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That could very well be - I can't remember the year it switched. My axle is an '01 or '02 and still had drums.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rear would be limited slip, there was no "factory locker". Ford called it "Track-Lock"

Price isn't horrible if the brakes are good. Will likely need new clutches for the limited slip which can be spendy.

Mine was $100 14 years ago, the brakes were shot and needed clutches in the limited slip.

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Right, Limited Slip is what I meant but I was recalling Trac-Lock in my head at the same time.

Looks like the rebuild kits are under a $100 online, plus the first thing I'd be doing is changing out the fluid and inspecting it. Just found a video from ChrisFix showing how to rebuild the Ford's limited slip differential. Should be a lot easier working on it while it's not under the vehicle. The truck was still sitting on the wheels, so the brakes weren't festering in the mud for years so that's a plus & it seemed like a newer addition to the salvage yard as opposed to being buried behind other vehicles.

So far the upside to this one axle is that the gears are 4.10 & that the disk brakes are larger than the previous Explorer models. The limited slip is nice to know it's there as well since it'd be one less thing to add later on....and that it'd be fun to learn rebuilding one.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If it's got fresh brakes, no leaks, no excessive play in anything, no excessive rust, verified low to average mileage as per odometer, that is an OK deal.

Subtract $150 if it needs brakes, factory in everything including calipers
Subtract $50-$150 if it's leaking anywhere, pinion seal is the main one to be concerned with
Pass on it completely if there is ANY slop in the pinion bearings and more than just a little bit of backlash.

I paid $200 for the last 8.8 I bought, it came out of a 1998 Explorer that had 7000 miles on it. It was minty fresh, had 4.10 gears, limited slip and Ford factory brakes that just needed a little rust knocked off with a wire wheel. Axles at our u-pull-it place are $150 but usually they're missing something.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals