• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found a unicorn

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I like new water tank... that should hold up much better then the old cardboard one. :icon_rofl:
Depending on the size of the tank and how warm the water gets, you may need another support under the tank to keep it from sagging in the center.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Ha, yeah, far less leaky and it won't get waterlogged.

It's a 15 gallon tank. Funny you mention the support under the tank, I am putting a skid plate on the bottom with some rubber inner tube sections between the tank and metal. I'm also thinking about running a bar across the long sides of the tank too for the same reason. Maybe overkill but I think even a piece of 1-1/2 strap on those sides would help keep the sides from bulging out.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The pump arrived and I wracked my brain trying to figure out a way to mount it in a water resistant box - it has a label on it that says "do not submerge." I couldn't find one that was big enough that would fit in one of several ideal places so I decided that I'm just going to mount it behind the water tank and build a splash shield for it. Hopefully that'll be enough. This area seems to be pretty protected, I almost never see mud built up in there. I never drive this in the salt and rarely through deep water so hopefully it'll be OK.

The mount for the tank is finished, I am dropping it off to get sandblasted today. Also have a skid plate built, I added two more bolts to support the middle that didn't make it into the picture.

Would like to be testing this thing this weekend... depends how fast the paint dries I guess!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
So here's what I ended up with... the water tank is installed and plumbed. I made a little bracket for the filler. Added a spigot on the bumper. Pump is wired into a switch on the dash and runs on demand. I glued strips of inner tubes to the edges and corners of the tank to cushion it.

I used my Zodi camp shower heater to get the water up to temp by recirculating into the tank, then shut the heater off and simply moved the shower head (a kitchen sink sprayer) into my shower tent. It works really well. 20-25 minutes will heat up 15 gallons of water to average shower temp. I've used it three times now and even my fiance says that it is fantastic. Combat showers used about 6-7 gallons of water between the two of us.

Very pleased, we'll see how it performs for daily use in two weeks when we go to Utah.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I must be the only one that been finding the really hard ones to find. I just found a 1991 Eddie Bourne edition Its a 4x4 5 speed with auto hubs. Its a really nice looking truck I had the manual sunroof for a matter of fact I hate sunroofs. Pay 900 for it but the one thing it had was the American Racing Outlaw rims on it Will be putting them on the 1991 ford explorer that i just had to replace the motor cus it had 2 cracks in the cylinders 2-3 the guy that hot tanked it told me Whoever had it before you GOT THE MOTHER HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. But its almost Brand new inside this 1990-91 ford explorer it had only 111000 miles on it But i got the rims for it and ordered new center caps Loce them old first-gen wheels trying to see if i can get them powder coated a bright silver or just take them in and have them polished and put a clear coat on them But this is my new one

Attachments

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I must be the only one that been finding the really hard ones to find. I just found a 1991 Eddie Bourne edition Its a 4x4 5 speed with auto hubs. Its a really nice looking truck I had the manual sunroof for a matter of fact I hate sunroofs. Pay 900 for it but the one thing it had was the American Racing Outlaw rims on it Will be putting them on the 1991 ford explorer that i just had to replace the motor cus it had 2 cracks in the cylinders 2-3 the guy that hot tanked it told me Whoever had it before you GOT THE MOTHER HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. But its almost Brand new inside this 1990-91 ford explorer it had only 111000 miles on it But i got the rims for it and ordered new center caps Loce them old first-gen wheels trying to see if i can get them powder coated a bright silver or just take them in and have them polished and put a clear coat on them But this is my new one
Dang, crank windows, steel wheels, and a frickin sunroof! That's a cool rig.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My poor little Explorer spent the last three months on jack stands while I was rebuilding the transmission a second time. Now that I'm done with that hopefully, I had time to install my newest camping equipment.... an ARB awning and "awning room." The awning itself is pretty self explanatory, just a canvas sheet that rolls out and is supported by poles. The tent room, is pretty frickin cool. It slides into the awning track on one side and then zips onto the outside edge of the awning on the other. Several clips on each side hold it to the poles and keep it square, and tent stakes hold it down.

I'm pretty excited about this new addition for several reasons:

1) Privacy while getting dressed and stuff, much easier in a tent than inside a vehicle too
2) Much more weather proof storage for camping gear - we have always just covered our totes and stuff up with a tarp at night to keep the dust and dew/rain/snow off them.
3) Cooking - we have had a lot of windy evenings and an enclosed kitchen will be great.
4) Now we have the ability to sleep in the Explorer OR in the awning room and if the kids are with us, we don't need to carry a dedicated tent for them.
5) It takes literally 5 minutes to set up and tear down. MUCH easier than even the nicest tents I've dealt with.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Coolest accessory I've found so far... a brand new set of mud flaps! Found them sitting behind a pile of vacuum cleaner parts at a thrift store.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Ive noticed that (in stores) you just dont see mudflaps anymore.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah man... not easy to find. I wanted this exact style because I can mount them however I want and hopefully it'll keep road debris from sandblasting my rock sliders. I just can't believe I found brand new ones that were an OEM accessory for my truck.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Congrats on a great score, and I'm definitely jealous!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Latest mod: I bought a dual voltage fridge/freezer. Everyone else I adventure camp with has one... I could have paid for one of these with how much ice I've bought at gas stations over the years. It takes up just a hair more room than my old cooler and has about the same amount of room inside (since it won't have ice in it ever.)

I wanted to put it on either side in the back so I have easy access with the hatch or glass open. This required power - it plugs into the typical cigarette lighter outlet. Rather than running a wire off my secondary fuse panel, I opted to tap into the factory power distribution box and use the power seat circuit since I don't have power seats. I replaced the 60a fuse with a 20a (fridge itself pulls maybe 5 at most) and ran 12ga wire (a repurposed 120v extension cord lol) back to the cargo compartment through the firewall, under the door sill plate, and through the driver's side rear panel. The 12v plug I got also came with a voltage meter, USB C and USB jacks. Handy for checking battery voltage while the fridge is running.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Small update to this: I removed the carpet in the back and added four factory cargo tie downs in various locations so that I can strap the fridge in place. I was torn between building a big piece of plywood with a slide on it or adding additional tie downs, but I am very happy with how this turned out. Modified ratchet straps work very well and keep the fridge from moving around at all.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Ain't nuthin wrong with that. Nice work!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Dude... you have that rig pretty dialed in for in for some road trippin. On or off road...

Totally jealous of the fridge... I've wanted one of those for years. Seems no matter what I do... I end up with hot dog flavored water in the cooler after a couple days. Not sure my current ride will get one... but being a new Bronco or Ranger is on the radar and we want to travel and camp when time allows... I'm gonna have one someday. I do think I will miss pulling a cold drink out of an ice filled cooler though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals