• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found a unicorn

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Dude... you have that rig pretty dialed in for in for some road trippin. On or off road...

Totally jealous of the fridge... I've wanted one of those for years. Seems no matter what I do... I end up with hot dog flavored water in the cooler after a couple days. Not sure my current ride will get one... but being a new Bronco or Ranger is on the radar and we want to travel and camp when time allows... I'm gonna have one someday. I do think I will miss pulling a cold drink out of an ice filled cooler though.
Yeah...I am pretty self contained!

This year's trip to NM was the tipping point for me on the fridge. I had been thinking about it for the last three years but had other expensese... and this year I had a bag of ground venison leak inside one cooler and a Hershey's bar get wet inside the other (looks like diarrhea water :sick:)

This fridge was right at $450 shipped. It's one of the cheaper off brands but got really good reviews on some overlanding sites. Nice thing about these is you can run it off 120v in your house as a second fridge/freezer (it does go down to zero degrees) when you're not using it in the car. And even on 12v it just sips power - I had it set on 27 degrees and it held that for a full 24 hours without draining my battery down too far.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Yeah... they don't give them away. But you start looking at the price of these new coolers now days... $450 doesn't seem that bad... and no buying ice. Was a good move on your part...

Stumblefoot

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Instead of painting it do like the Jeep guys do get it covered in bed liner, cant hardly scratch it. tough as nails. and with the gloss it looks good too!

With the 5 speed it is pretty snappy! Compared to my 4 cylinder Ranger, of course. Functional cruise control is pretty cool, haven't had that in quite a few years. I am looking forward to seeing what it will do for gas mileage, mid teens is what I am expecting, anything better would be a nice bonus.

I am definitely going to fix the rust and see about maybe painting it after that. I don't know, it would look a lot better, but then I would have to worry about scratching it and stuff. Maybe the peeling clear coat suits me better.
guys

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Instead of painting it do like the Jeep guys do get it covered in bed liner, cant hardly scratch it. tough as nails. and with the gloss it looks good too!
Meh... I'm not a fan of bedliner paint jobs. A good bedliner job (Line-X, Raptor, etc) is probably a couple grand easily to do a whole truck. Cheap bedliner jobs don't hold up very well. I'm gonna paint it eventually with quality 2K urethane, just have several other projects ahead of it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Almost 2 years since my last update - haven't really done much outside of just using the truck. I did get some rear U bolt plate skid plate things that are really nice. I destroyed several sets of factory plates just by dragging this pig through the rocks. They also move your shock mounts up.

IMG_0239.JPG

We went out to Wyoming a couple weeks ago and ran parts of the Backcountry Discovery Route. Truck worked great. Couple small things to revise but I'm really pleased with my refinements to the camping gear setup over the years.

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals