• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Forged vs. Cast wheels results.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I recently purchased a Forged Alcoa wheel as a spare. I decided to weigh the wheels to see if there was any weight difference between a cast aluminum wheel and a forged aluminum wheel of the same size. The wheels used were both OEM Ford Ranger wheels. The cast wheels came from my 1994. The forged wheels came from a 2001-2007 FX4 Level II truck. Both 15x7 wheels.

Unfortunately I did not have a 15x7 steel wheel to add to the test.

The cast wheels weighed in at: 16.4 lbs
The forged wheels weighed in at: 17.2 lbs

Last edited:

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The picture didn't work, so I'll try again later. I will be repeating the test once again in March in case anyone has any requests on how these to wheels compare.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will have quite a time turning up a cast iron 15x7 rim. :icon_twisted:

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
No joke. I think a cast one would put a hurt'n on my truck. :icon_twisted:

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Steel. Forgive me.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I recently purchased a Forged Alcoa wheel as a spare. I decided to weigh the wheels to see if there was any weight difference between a cast aluminum wheel and a forged aluminum wheel of the same size. The wheels used were both OEM Ford Ranger wheels. The cast wheels came from my 1994. The forged wheels came from a 2001-2007 FX4 Level II truck. Both 15x7 wheels.

Unfortunately I did not have a 15x7 steel wheel to add to the test.

The cast wheels weighed in at: 16.4 lbs
The forged wheels weighed in at: 17.2 lbs
With an aluminum wheel the style can make a lot of difference in the weight. A better comparison would be the weight difference between a cast and forged wheel with the same style and size.

I will go ahead and tell you that there is a much more important difference than weight, it's strength. Due to the way a forged aluminum wheel is made it is denser than a cast aluminum wheel, this increased density makes the wheel much stronger. Until recently I didn't know about the differences in aluminum wheel manufacturing, until recently I hadn't needed to. With a larger sidewall tire like most of us run with our 15" wheels on our trucks the tire absorbs a lot of harsh impact from the road, which pretty well makes up for the weaker cast wheel. Being use to this I though nothing of it with the 17" wheels and low profile tires on my car. When I destroyed two factory wheels I blamed it on crappy weak side wall tires that came on the car stock, though nothing of the wheels being cast and weaker. So when I installed aftermarket wheels and tires (also 17" with same size tire) I did not occur to me to check the manufacturing technique used. Well one year later I paid the price for it with another dead cast aluminum wheel. The breakage on both the stock and aftermarket wheels were almost identical. I'll try to post a pic up tomorrow, it is on my cell phone and I should have been in bed at least 4 hours ago.

The picture didn't work, so I'll try again later. I will be repeating the test once again in March in case anyone has any requests on how these to wheels compare.
Out of curiosity exactly what tests have you performed? I wouldn't call weighing the wheel a test. I also don't know what difference you would expect to find weighing them between now and March.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
With an aluminum wheel the style can make a lot of difference in the weight. A better comparison would be the weight difference between a cast and forged wheel with the same style and size.

I will go ahead and tell you that there is a much more important difference than weight, it's strength. Due to the way a forged aluminum wheel is made it is denser than a cast aluminum wheel, this increased density makes the wheel much stronger. Until recently I didn't know about the differences in aluminum wheel manufacturing, until recently I hadn't needed to. With a larger sidewall tire like most of us run with our 15" wheels on our trucks the tire absorbs a lot of harsh impact from the road, which pretty well makes up for the weaker cast wheel. Being use to this I though nothing of it with the 17" wheels and low profile tires on my car. When I destroyed two factory wheels I blamed it on crappy weak side wall tires that came on the car stock, though nothing of the wheels being cast and weaker. So when I installed aftermarket wheels and tires (also 17" with same size tire) I did not occur to me to check the manufacturing technique used. Well one year later I paid the price for it with another dead cast aluminum wheel. The breakage on both the stock and aftermarket wheels were almost identical. I'll try to post a pic up tomorrow, it is on my cell phone and I should have been in bed at least 4 hours ago.

Out of curiosity exactly what tests have you performed? I wouldn't call weighing the wheel a test. I also don't know what difference you would expect to find weighing them between now and March.
Just weight. I couldn't find anyone else doing this with Ranger rims so I decided to post it. In March I get the rest of the Alcoas. So I can weigh 3 more, stead of just one. I just bought this as a spare being I don't have a spare.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'll try to post a pic up tomorrow, it is on my cell phone and I should have been in bed at least 4 hours ago.
Interested in these pictures if the pictures are up and working on this site yet. I'm curious about the tire sizes you were dealing with too. I plan on running very small, bald tires on these forged wheels this summer.

On another note I added a second forged wheel and I am using less weight when balancing the tires. I don't know if it's typical that forged wheels would take less weight, or if it's do to the tires balancing better after a year of use from brand new.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Here's the picture. Hopefully I'll have a shot of the truck with all 4 on by summer time.:headbang:

Attachments

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Peterson's 4Wheel & Offroad ran a Steel vs Cast vs Forged aluminum story a few years back. From what I recall, the out come was basically that forged aluminum wheels give you nearly the strength of steel at the weight of cast aluminum but at additional cost.

I think one of the tests they ran was to drive the pickup without rubber on the wheel and see how well the wheel stood up to the abuse. The cast wheel was pretty mangled but the forged and steel stood up fairly well.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
super forged wheels rock.....material choice is also key....many types of alloys

if its denser and the same shit and size....it is for sure heavier:D

clarkbre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Here's the picture. Hopefully I'll have a shot of the truck with all 4 on by summer time.:headbang:
I know this is a really old thread; however, I want to thank you for providing the actual weights of these wheels.

As I'm reviving a '98 4.0 automatic 4x4, my plan was to use a set of 15x8 -19mm offset "D" window steel wheels. The new wheels are simply to get the tires flush with the fender edge. The truck came stock with 265/75r15 (31x10.5, Pictured below). Adding weight to the rotating mass was a definite concern. I just weighed the "D" windows at 26.6lbs each, an additional 9.4lbs to each corner. I know its a truck that will never be fuel efficient, but I think I'll stick with the stock rims to give it a fighting chance.

Thank you again for the info.

The proposed 15x8 -19mm offset steel "D" window wheels
20230201_162814.jpg

The '98 Ranger as it currently sits. Waiting for new 31x10.5 All Terrain tires.
PXL_20230208_003142751.PORTRAIT~3.jpg

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here's my 98 with some 50 year old Cragar Mag Master rims. 14 x 8.5 rear, 14 x 7 front. I know it's high. Not easy to lower a Ranger. Besides, it's my daily driver so my LIGHTNING can hibernate in the garage.

00040.JPG
00041.JPG
00043.JPG
00042.JPG

01010064.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals